starting 1.5 gallon nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
starting 1.5 gallon nano

Ok so i have made a few tanks over the years but new to live planted tanks i was wantin to start with my 1.5g and make a planted nano shrimp tank then maby work on my 14g anyway i am wanting advice and openions i was gonna use new sand mixed with some gravel from my established convict tank for the sub i am hopeing that the gravel from my convict tank will act like live gravel and help cycle the tank quicker i am gonna use a 10w 6500k cfl for lighting and plan on useing my whisper 1-3g internal filter gonna have a piece of drift wood posably partually resting on a piece of lava rock (also out of convict tank) micro sword through out sub java moss on driftwood and anubius nana comeing out between lava rock and wood then i want a plant for backround and to cover the filter any advice? Oh and yeah i was thinkin chery shrimp maby 3-6 of them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
Hello Eco,

One of my tanks is a 2.5g. (my icon) I love nanos except it is near impossible to prevent water parameter fluctuations. The slightest evaporation/fertilization/room temp change will affect your tank. I would suggest next time you get a petco/petsmart cupon in the mail go get a Zoo Med 501 filter...or go with a cheapy HOB. The 501 is a good little canister for nanos, mine runs very quiet. Space is a premium in a nano. If you stick in a internal filter at least 15 to 25% of your space is taken up.

I just give my 2.5 a smidge of ferts once or twice a week that's it. The plants that you listed are not too demanding with ferts...the micro sword might not grow in sand/plain gravel set up without some juice and excel it will appreciate more light also. In my grow out phase I was pumping CO2 and running a 27w and a 13W over a 2.5g. Now the 13w is removed because I was tired of trimming everyweek.

Good luck.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice as far as the tank and fitler goed it just happens to be what i already have so i was gonna give it a try and with the micro sword i was gonna use that cuz my friend was gonna get rid of his and i told him i would take it to save it from the trash i really just want somethin to use as bedding and hopeing that i could get the micro swork to work

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 02:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
That ZM 501 is sweet, I second shrimpnmoss on that.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 05:16 AM

Is the flow from the zoo med low enough to not disturb such a small tank?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 05:36 AM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
It was strong at first so I used the spray bar in the beginning. With a sponge prefilter and dirty media and dirty hose it has slow down considerably.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode