Finnex 4 Gal. vs. 12" Cube? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question Finnex 4 Gal. vs. 12" Cube?

I'm looking to get a new aquarium for my desk. I am down to choosing between a Finnex and a 12" cube. The Finnex price is hard to pass up, but I think I like the idea of the deeper foot print of the 12" cube for spacing out plants.

Plans:
- MTS capped with a TBD substrate
- 1 piece of driftwood, looking for a nice little stump
- Zebra stones, depends on the size of the driftwood
- Small crypts, anubias petite, blyxa, micro swords and probably some stem plant.
- Betta, couple otos, couple nerites, and possible a few small schooling fish.
- Aquaclear Mini and a desklamp with a 13W CFL for now (will be looking to upgrade the light).

I'm looking for some Comments/Input:

1) Pros and cons of the two tanks.
2) If you have either, what do you like, don't like, and any problems you have had?
3) If you had the choice which way would you go?
4) Suggest a light fixture? Not looking to spend more than a $100 for a light.

I've seen many beautiful Finnexs out there. I've seen less cubes though.

Thanks.

Tanks:
26 Gallon Aqueon Bowfront

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2.5 Gallon Aqueon Bowfront
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
I have a F.4 I started this past week and have a tank journal with pics posted up if you would like to check it out. I will keep it as brief and informative as possible.. depending on which kit you get you will have different light but the HOB filter included will never, ever see the light of day. I replaced it with a Zoo Med 501 with custom acrylic pipes that are on the way.

The light that came with my kit is a PCF and not the LED that some kits come with now. It is s decent light and I ordered six replacement bulbs from eBay for next to nothing so I won't be scrambling to order in six months.

The tank itself is very well put together and aside from a couple of spots under the tank where I shaved down some excess sealer that you would never see the work on the edging is really good, nothing that cannot be trimmed down if it bothers you that much. The tank measures 12 3/8 x 8 x 10 and is a really good size for me, not a perfect cube but that is not what I was after. It is a thick glass with curved front edges

The kit I purchased was fifty bucks plus shipping and it too was from eBay. I was searching around for weeks for a good nano tank and ran into this one by chance. For the price, kit and light it is well worth it imho. Sure you can use the HOB filter and then upgrade. I cannot tell you if it is hella loud or not since I chucked it into the dark recesses of my aquarium s* closet.

Hope this helps and good luck!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
My vote is for the 12" cube a bit more space while keeping it small. 7.5 gallons will only be about 5-6 gallons after you stick all your stuff in. The Archea 27w from AFA looks nice on a 12" cube.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have a Finnex, it's a nice tank but it's pretty small. If you have the space, go with a 12" cube. I think that might be my next tank.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 05:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

I reread and noticed the fauna, that Finnex is a bad idea for that much livestock so stick with the big tank.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 04:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (35/100%)
You can't go bad with either one really. If you do want to lean heavier on livestock, then definitely go with the 12" cube.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Agreed, I have mine pretty heavily stocked now with plants but I have another couple coming in for the right corner, it gets packed in there pretty quick but I like it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode