No tank at work - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy No tank at work

Haven't had a planted tank in 10+ years, and got the itch to set one up at work, since I'm too busy there to actually enjoy the outdoors anymore. Ordered a Finnex 4g with the canister Saturday after getting the OK from the facilities guy at work. Found out today he changed his mind, since that means that the other 300 people in the building would want fish tanks of their own, too.

Looks like it'll get set up at home instead, though I fear what deeds the 4.5 and 1.5 year old may do to it when I'm not within sight.

Anyway.... Plan is to use Eco-Complete, no CO2, and stock with low maintenance plants, a few shrimp, and haven't decided on fish yet.

Looking forward to sharing once it arrives, and setup begins!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Im sorry for your surprise.
Can't wait for pics when its set-up!

Have you considered Celestial Pearl danios (Galaxy Rasbora/ Danio margaritatus)? They are a great nano fish, Only get around an inch. The only thing I see wrong with these is that they will eat little baby shrimplets.

Clown Killifish (Epiplatys annulatus) only get 1.5 inches long and a beautiful. I know my killi pair are very explorative, so dont be expecting it to be shy

Scarlet Badis (Dario dario) are very small, barely reaching an inch. The male displays great color, but they are pretty shy.

Chili Rasbora (Mosquito Rasbora/ Boraras brigittae) can reach around 1 - 1.5 inches. They school decently and are a vibrant red.

Endlers Livebearers (Poecilia wingei) are beautiful and only get 1 - 1.5 inches. If you plan on getting both male and female, make sure to use the 1 male per 2 females ratio.

Sparkling gourami (Trichopsis pumila) also stay pretty small, around 1.5 inches. They also have very pretty blue eyes. Not seen in many gouramis.

Hope you liked the list! Really all I could think of...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I saw the chili rasboras on msjinkzd's site - very pretty, but doesn't seem to be best suited for a clean, bright tank.

Only thing I'd be nervous about with the Badis & killis is keeping a live food source at hand.

The CPDs are appealing, as they don't seem to require the current that other danios prefer.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thats a bummer
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker View Post
Only thing I'd be nervous about with the Badis & killis is keeping a live food source at hand.
The Badis can be trained to except live foods.
The killis can really be trained to eat other things besides live food. Ive trained mine to eat Hikari Tropical Micro Pellets.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 01:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Sorry to hear that. I brought mine in and said to heck with it. It is not anywhere they can see plus if they try the "it consumes power" garbage with me then I will ask them how much do the sea of mini fridges in every other third cube consume. I have a JBJ 3 in my cube with a filter, light and tank heater for almost a year now with no issue. It houses a betta so if the power goes out it won't be a big deal. He is a big boy and can make due. Other than the tank heater the betta would not require the filter anyways since it is an air breather anyways although I run the filter regardless.

CPD's are a nice choice, I am going to stock them in my new 4 g nano.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

We're one company in an international group that has all sorts of global rules. One is a risk matrix for electric items which they audit against, but just like you say, everyone has fridges I happen to have an office in a high traffic area, so it would get noticed if I bucked the system.

Sooo, that being said, on to some hardware questions...

Since I don't want to add CO2, would it be worth investing in lily pipes to help retain dissolved gas in the tank?

Have people had good experiences with the Hydor mini heaters? They seem to be tailor-made for tanks like this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 02:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
What are you going to stock that requires a heater for starters? Depending on the filter set up, some people get away with the Hydor mini heaters and insert them into the area where you put the filter media in and use that. Hydor also makes an inline heater as well that I saw positive comments on which is another option otherwise it would be in tank and visually unappealing in a nano honestly. I don't know of a way to dress it up to make it pretty other than load it with plant coverage?

I am looking at lily pipes as we speak.. pricey unless you get the knock offs from overseas and waiting a month seems to be the norm on that. I am too impatient for that. I saw a DIY but that has its own perils.. like fire.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The lily pipes are your choice, I personally like it because of the clean look it gives the tank.
Hydro mini heaters are great for nano tank!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was thinking of the heater for stability's sake. Our home thermostat is set for 68F during the morning and evening hours, and 62F at night. Of course with spring coming, temp swings won't be much of an issue. Bigger problem will probably be preventing it from overheating once summer hits, as we really don't have AC.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode