Please help ... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Please help ...

I admittedly have no idea what I’m doing. I’m reading that there is such a thing as too much driftwood in a small tank and too many plants. One of the two big pieces of driftwood in my Spec V has a LOT of biofilm even though I boiled it for a long time. My tank has not cycled but my Beta is in there and I’m worried about him. I’m panicking and considering throwing the bigger piece of driftwood with all my anubias on it away. Any advice anyone could give would be so appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33CEF296-AAE8-4D19-A365-109B2A0D1201_1608352439563.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	3.42 MB
ID:	906133  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 06:41 AM
Algae Grower

I guess it depends on the type of wood it is, bio-film is generally ok. Except for aesthetics, I don't think you can have too many plants. They will help buffer the ammonia spikes. If you're not adverse to it, get some snails in there. They'll work on the biofilm, and the snail poop will help with cycling.

While Bettas are pretty resilient, I'd keep an eye on the ammonia levels until it's fully cycled. If you have another established tank, borrow some of the filter media from it to help jump start the new one..

The tank looks nice!

Tanks
75, 2 - 55s, a 20 long, and 2 ten gallons - as well as an old claw foot, cast iron tub converted to goldfish pond

Critters
Fish - Glolight Danios, Dwarf Gouramis, Chili Rasboras, Kubotai Rasboras, Tuxedo Guppies, Otocinlus and goldfish
Invertebrates - Neocaridina, Amano and Ghost Shrimp, Nerite and Mystery snails,
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 05:54 PM
Planted Member

I strongly suspect that dissolved organics from driftwood was one of the drivers of a major algae outbreak in one of my tanks, but I'm not totally sure. I know that Diana Walstad discourages the use of driftwood in her posts over at APC, but I'm not sure I've heard much to that effect here. You can always try it out now and remove it if things go south.

As long as the plant growth is healthy I wouldn't worry about having too much. Remove material that is worse for the wear though.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2020, 10:22 PM

From the picture I don't see the cause for alarm. Certainly nothing to justify throwing anything away.
I've never heard anything about too many plants but I certainly wouldn't want to field the onslaught of reactions from such a statement. Regardless your tank would qualify as lightly planted imo.
Too much driftwood breaking down in a system at once would be troublesome to combat but again I don't think your setup qualifies as anything above light.
I would simply remove the anubias and retreat the piece if its bothering you. Me for mine, I boil then scour with wire brush(or equivalent depending on wood toughness) under chlorinated tap water (or low low bleach if you're on a well system. Then low temp bake and let it cool.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode