Help with algae needed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2020, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help with algae needed

Hello everyone

I知 new here - so hello - pleased to e-meet you!

I知 aware its kind of rude to instantly come up with a question, but I知 having sudden algae growth in my 34l fluval flex tank, so I would really appreciate some help
The tank is planted, I add CO2 and I have the lights on for 8hrs a day. I exchange about 30% of the water once a week.
The inmates are an oto, a few amanos, red cherries (3), 2 snails and 5 tetras. All was going and growing well until recently, when these ugly algae started appearing. First on the moss, now on most of the plants.
I知 not sure what kind of algae it is - so I attached photos. Would be great if someone could help me identify it.

Thanks a lot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E4CA50BF-43AB-467B-90E6-46DB65BFABCF.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	904865  

Name:	F8787ED3-4815-4603-A2BC-92AAFF5D9069.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	904867  

Name:	8A52350E-52CE-4FC7-A6EE-2B200A552FD9.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	509.5 KB
ID:	904869  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2020, 09:46 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Welcome to the Planted Tank!

Algae can sure be a nuisance. The exact name/type often doesn't really help much. Could be hair, brush/beard or even staghorn algae.
The real question is, how to kill!!

There are a few different scenarios, what I have seen happening most frequently is that a relatively new tank runs out of nutrients, plant grow stalls, and that is when algae come into the picture.

As you know, to grow, plants need lights and nutrients. Looks like you got enough light and CO2.
So, my first question would be - what do you add in terms of macro (NPK) and micro nutrients?

A different scenario could be that this is a new tank that hasn't found its balance yet, and is experiencing the initial cycles of alga growth. In that case, keep doing what you are doing (helping plants to grow really well) and be patient for a few weeks. Often those algae explosions blow themselves out without much help or scrubbing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2020, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Agree - name doesn't matter
This hairy kind of algae is especially annoying since physical removal is almost impossible. Especially from the moss ...

I'm adding 1 pump of "Tropica Premium Nutrition" once a week after the water change.

I've set up this tank about 2-3 months ago.

What I forgot to mention in my original post - and it may not be important anyhow, I'm also chilling the water to keep it at around 26 degrees Celsius. (I'm living in Singapore and without chilling or having the aircon on nonstop, the water temperature quickly raises above 30)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2020, 05:21 PM
Are these real?

So it sounds like your tank may be out of Nitrates (and perhaps Phosphates, depends on your tap water).
Macro nutrients - Nitrates, Phosphates, Potassium - are needed for plant growth. If you don't add them one way or another, after an initial charge they run out, plant growth stagnates, and algae moves in.

I use KNO3, K2SO4, and KH2PO4 to dose these three (small amounts, but essential).
The fact that you add CO2 without adding macros invariably leads to algae hell.

So, see if you can source any of that (KNO3 may be problematic), and read up on dosing.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2020, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Thats interesting! The only one of the 3 you mentioned I'm regularly monitoring is NO3 - and its usually around 15-20ppm. I was of the opinion that its rather important to avoid too high levels. PO4 I thought about that same ... and also that both are a byproduct of having fish in the tank.
Potassium is a different story. - Started adding it now
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2020, 12:11 AM
Are these real?

It is true that "fish are fertilizer" to some extent. But, this can lead to issues. Most reasonably stocked tanks with lots of fast growing plants tend to run out of NO3 fairly quickly. So I am a bit surprised you are reporting 15-20ppm, that is pretty much optimal if true.
If you have large poopers which keep the NO3 levels up this may lead to other issues, like biofilm accumulating on leaves and choking plants over time.
So I would say it is not a good approach to try to balance fish excrement with plant nutrition. Regular water changes with a bit of nutrient dosing go a long way towards a balanced, healthy planted tank...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode