1Likes
  • 1 Post By RCB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
RCB
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Open for feedback

Greetings, first of all, I wish everyone a healthy tank and good personal health to all. Now, this is what I'm doing and have been for awhile. So far its working and I'm curious if I'm in for some down the line issues. Here goes....

Older 8 gallon MetaFrame tank. CO2 dose...good lighting but I don't use all it has to offer.... 5" gravel substrate.... 25% water change every 8-9 days.... Dose 3/4 squirt of Nilocg Thrive + during water changes.....Aquaflow Filter 20 turned down...... Crowntail Betta and three mini Cory's......many Anubis Petites, many Dwarf Sagittarius , many Ludwigia Dark Orange, many Anubis Waffle Leaf and many Java Ferns.

The Anubis and Java Ferns are attached to rocks or driftwood via cotton thread and or Super Glue. The stem plants are my question... I started with about 20 stems. Rather than plant them in a bunch and ( for the time being ) in the gravel substrate , I trim them to the length I want,wrap them in a short piece of Micro Cloth with a tiny piece of Seachem Plant Tabs, secure them with a Lead Strip and place them on the bottom of the tank. I can move them around at will, and when I'm happy with their location, I leave them to produce roots.

Once they have produced a decent root, I remove the Micro Cloth and plant them in the substrate. Does anyone have an issue with what I'm doing ( I'm an old guy so criticism is welcome and not considered personal ) I want my Aquariums to thrive with trouble free growth.
Econde likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 07:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB View Post
Greetings, first of all, I wish everyone a healthy tank and good personal health to all. Now, this is what I'm doing and have been for awhile. So far its working and I'm curious if I'm in for some down the line issues. Here goes....

Older 8 gallon MetaFrame tank. CO2 dose...good lighting but I don't use all it has to offer.... 5" gravel substrate.... 25% water change every 8-9 days.... Dose 3/4 squirt of Nilocg Thrive + during water changes.....Aquaflow Filter 20 turned down...... Crowntail Betta and three mini Cory's......many Anubis Petites, many Dwarf Sagittarius , many Ludwigia Dark Orange, many Anubis Waffle Leaf and many Java Ferns.

The Anubis and Java Ferns are attached to rocks or driftwood via cotton thread and or Super Glue. The stem plants are my question... I started with about 20 stems. Rather than plant them in a bunch and ( for the time being ) in the gravel substrate , I trim them to the length I want,wrap them in a short piece of Micro Cloth with a tiny piece of Seachem Plant Tabs, secure them with a Lead Strip and place them on the bottom of the tank. I can move them around at will, and when I'm happy with their location, I leave them to produce roots.

Once they have produced a decent root, I remove the Micro Cloth and plant them in the substrate. Does anyone have an issue with what I'm doing ( I'm an old guy so criticism is welcome and not considered personal ) I want my Aquariums to thrive with trouble free growth.
I personally don't see a problem with what you're doing. If you're getting the results that you want, then it doesn't matter. I use blasting sand as my substrate, so I personally cut and replant right into the sand. It will root eventually.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-13-2020, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
RCB
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Much obliged for the reply Econde. I wondered if I was retarding the root growth by wrapping the base of the stem plants and then just dropping them in the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode