2Likes
  • 1 Post By Econde
  • 1 Post By Econde

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted Nano Tank Recommendation?

I'm a newbie, and looking to set up a nano planted tank with the long-term goal of keeping cherry shrimp. I'm planning to keep low-light easy to care for plants with an organic miracle-gro substrate. Question is, would one of these tanks be better than another? I'm considering:

Imagitarium Frameless Freshwater Aquarium Kit, 6.8 GAL

or

Aqueon LED 7.5 Gallon Shrimp Aquarium Kit

I'm open to other options as well; these two just happen to be on sale. There are so many conflicting comments about filtration, light, etc, that I'm getting overwhelmed. Any help would be great!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 03:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrow1 View Post
I'm a newbie, and looking to set up a nano planted tank with the long-term goal of keeping cherry shrimp. I'm planning to keep low-light easy to care for plants with an organic miracle-gro substrate. Question is, would one of these tanks be better than another? I'm considering:

Imagitarium Frameless Freshwater Aquarium Kit, 6.8 GAL

or

Aqueon LED 7.5 Gallon Shrimp Aquarium Kit

I'm open to other options as well; these two just happen to be on sale. There are so many conflicting comments about filtration, light, etc, that I'm getting overwhelmed. Any help would be great!!
Another thing you can do is a 10 gallon tank, inert substrate over your miracle gro, air driven sponge filter and a cheapo light.
10 Gallon
Sponge Filter
Black Diamond Blasting Sand 1240
Air Pump
Hygger Led Light
All4Fish likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! That might be a better way to go. I also just checked out the JBJ 3 gallon Cubey. I had a 29 salt reef for awhile, and like their style. Would that be compatible with cherry shrimp?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 04:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Thanks! That might be a better way to go. I also just checked out the JBJ 3 gallon Cubey. I had a 29 salt reef for awhile, and like their style. Would that be compatible with cherry shrimp?
Should be. Just remember that it will be easier to keep water parameters stable with bigger tanks. Shrimp are all about stability. But yea that JBJ looks neat. Just make sure you research whatever it is you're going to keep and you should be fine. Also Any filter inlet can suck up shrimplettes. A lot of shrimp keepers cover the inlets with a pre-filter sponge or stainless steel mesh. This is why an air driven sponge filter is ideal due to non-moving parts. Anyway anything you choose will be most likely suitable.
All4Fish likes this.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you so much for writing. I went ahead and bought pretty much everything you linked to. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Maybe worth checking out the "Marks Shrimp Tanks" YouTube channel for inspiration and guidance. He has multiple videos about setting up a red cherry shrimp tank:
https://www.youtube.com/c/MarksShrim...h?query=cherry

Have fun =]

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks again. Econde, what type of plants will that light grow? Would I be able to do a carpet plant with it?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 04:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Thanks again. Econde, what type of plants will that light grow? Would I be able to do a carpet plant with it?
Check into dwarf hairgrass, monte carlo or staurogyne repens. All good candidates for carpeting. I don't have the specs for that light, I'd assume it's low-med light. Anubis, java ferns, java moss and crypts should all do fine with small amounts of. Aquarium fertilizers.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank

Tags
aqueon, cherry shrimp, imagitarium, planted tank, tank recommendation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode