It's been a while since I've done an update, thought I would share some of the problems and successes I've been having on this tank.. hair algae has really taken over in the past month, it's embedded in the HC and grows out to this each week between maintenance:
I had let the Anubius leaves grow in front of the powerhead which caused some problems getting Co2 diffused throughout the tank for a while, fixed that and have cut back lights to about 6 hrs a day with a siesta for the past couple of weeks, but I also think there's too much dissolved organics or maybe nutrients in general in the tank. There's a good layer of mulm under the carpet that can't be vacuumed and I'm hesitant to use either excel dosing or large water charges to combat algae since the yellow neo colony is thriving - either might hurt the population and the livestock takes precedence.
It cleans up pretty well for a couple days after a trim but algae is still strung all throughout the carpet, so I think it might be time to pull it up, (carefully) vacuum out the substrate and try something new. If it persists, it's at least easier to manually remove off other types of plants and I'll be able to keep the tank cleaner in general.
On the other hand, the colony is doing great - I had just started with 3 yellow neos and a couple low-grade cherries in the tank. They threw a bunch of wild-types at first, I've moved 4 containers of about 20 culls each over to my other tank and have good branch of yellows breeding, the little ones are all F2s now:
Next update will probably be a re-scape of the tank, still need to figure out what to do next but that's part of the fun.