• 3 Post By chrisg
  • 1 Post By fish+plants
  • 1 Post By chrisg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Spec V Shrimp tank

Hi everyone - I thought I would start a journal for my Spec V kitchen tank. I just picked up the hobby earlier this year and this is my first attempt at any kind of aquascape, still have a long ways to go to catch up with some of the amazing tanks on here but it's a step up from where I started with fake decorations from Petco. (here's a link to my other tank: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...-post2144.html)

A couple of things I learned - I think it was a mistake not doing a dry start. For at least the first two weeks I was constantly replanting uprooted HC.. I tried reducing/redirecting the flow and they would still come up every day. Then the tank started getting hair algae, and several clumps would uproot at a time all strung together (forget manually removing it, tugging on it at all would just uproot the HC again). I wish I would have taken some pictures of the tank at its worst in the first month - I was almost ready to scrap it and try a different plan, but kept stubbornly replanting and eventually it took.

Also somewhere around a month in, the HC started turning yellow and everything pretty much stopped growing. I was only dosing Flourish at the time and think the tank ran out of macros - I switched to Thrive+ and it almost immediately turned back around and started healthy growth again. It's been going a lot better since doing that and getting the Co2 dialed in, here's some progress pictures:

6/25 (Still cloudy from planting)

7/19

8/1

8/30

Anubias starting to bloom:

Yellow golden-backs (I got these from @Discusluv on the for sale board here - there's about 50 shrimplets now!):

Econde, Discusluv and BreadLoach like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 12:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
The yellow-backs look fabulous in all the green in that tank! Because the shrimp have thrived in such a short time under your care tells me you are a shrimp "natural"- lol!
I think your tank looks amazing. It is simple, but striking.

Thanks for the pictures and update.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 03:35 PM
Algae Grower

I love the dark substrate contrasting with the bright green. Beautiful stone too. The slanted bottom is so interesting to look at. Well worth the work. The shrimp are gorgeous.
I've been hoping to start my own shrimp tank, and I've gotten all caught up in this huge list of plants I want to put in. Your simplistic tank has made me realize I don't have to go crazy. Thank you. Your tank... It's beautiful.
Good luck and keep us updated!
Discusluv likes this.

Last edited by BreadLoach; 09-02-2020 at 04:36 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 08:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)
For not having done a DSM, you are pulling it off! Looks great.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld
2 Gallon jungle val madness bowl

RAOK CLUB #0
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2020, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the kind words! I still have a lot to learn, going by this old post: https://barrreport.com/threads/the-1...aquascaper.25/ I'm barely out of step 1 (and not really, both me and my wife were super happy when we found the first new shrimplets and the tank starting to thrive).

The HC hasn't been trimmed yet and I think I may need some curved scissors to do a clean job with it, I'll post an update on how that goes.
Econde, Discusluv and BreadLoach like this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2020, 05:10 PM
Algae Grower

That post was really awesome. I tend to think and think and think without actually doing, so I feel like I went through most of those steps without actually buying anything. I don't know if that's a good thing or not... But I'm excited to actually do step 1 for real.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2020, 09:21 PM
Planted Member

Looks great! How did you keep the substrate in place for the slope? Are you happy with the tank so far?
BreadLoach likes this.

Fish+Plants thanks you!!
Michigan
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I had been meaning to do an update sooner but life got busy in the past couple of weeks. A day or two after my last post I was fiddling with the Co2 and broke my diffuser trying to re-attach the hose, so the tank went about a week and a half without any. The plants managed OK but hair/string algae started growing again and on a closer look I found hydra too:

I think was able to take out most of the algae/hydra manually with a trim, I'll have to keep a close eye on it and make sure there aren't Hydra still hiding down in the HC. It's hard to say if I'm losing shrimplets to them but it seems like there's been more tiny newborns than juveniles in the following weeks so it seems likely.

I'm pretty sure the wild-type colorations came from a low grade cherry male that was in the tank (the only adult losses I've had were two store bought cherry shrimp) - I will probably move these 'culls' over to my other tank as they get older and try to keep the yellow line breeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish+plants View Post
Looks great! How did you keep the substrate in place for the slope? Are you happy with the tank so far?
Thanks! The substrate was pretty easy, I just poured it in and made the slope before flooding the tank, and did not rinse the stratum contrary to the packaging. No-rinse seems to be the way to go with this stuff and I didn't have any problems with cloudy water. I would say I'm pretty happy with it, I know there's nothing groundbreaking here but it's fun watching it grow out to roughly what I was envisioning. I feel like getting some first hand experience with carpeting plants helps 'unlock' that as a building block I can incorporate into more complex tanks in the future too.
Discusluv likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode