• 2 Post By Grah the great
  • 2 Post By mfgann
  • 1 Post By Grah the great

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2020, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question 5 gallon 'mid tech' setup

Hi everyone! I came up with an idea for a 'mid tech' 5 gallon tank...how does it sound?
Tank; A 5 gallon. I will leave a gap 2-3 inches from the top top, as I want to encourage excellent gas exchange. It will have 1 inch organic soil under an inch of turface.
Circulation; A 60 GPH pump most likely. Not planning on any filtration other than mechanical filtration, though...I want the plants to take the ammonia for themselves.
CO2; From a yeast reactor. It will be a very weak yeast reactor, and my plan is to have it add at most 10 ppm CO2 to this tank. My thought is that this would allow the reactor to run much longer and thus make CO2 levels more stable. Like my other yeast reactors, it will be heated to minimize CO2 fluctuations with temperature.
Lights/Photoperiod; Likely two 800 lumen LED bulbs (perhaps 4000K?). 4 hours on, 4 off, 4 hours on. I want to simulate a long summer day without using constant bright light (which could encourage algae issues if something went wrong).
Heater; Maybe? Depends on what I ultimately stock it with.
Plants; TBD (I definitely want some easy red plants)
Livestock; No clue on the display front, but I want some snails in this tank to help manage organic waste.
Other; Tank will be fertilized, though exact amounts have not been decided on. I am planning to dry start the tank for a month or two to allow the plants to fill in and establish (and for the ammonia inevitably present in the soil to be consumed/oxidized by plants and bacteria) before flooding the tank. Tank will receive biweekly 1-2 gallon water changes for the first four weeks post flooding and weekly water changes thereafter.

Thanks for your input
Econde and BreadLoach like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
That's a sound plan. Might I suggest floating plants. It really helps offset algae in the beginning. But YMMV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 06:58 PM
Algae Grower

Thumbs up Just started something like this for a pandemic tank

I wanted to do something similar as a pandemic desk aquarium. I'd planned to purchase the Marineland Portrait for a tank like that, but ran across the Fluval Spec V and liked the dimensions better. I've not planned any CO2 but I've got quite a lot of clippings from my community tank to start it off. The filter seems good (and dead quiet) and the light seems plenty for a low-mid tech tank. I've started with some Red Cherry Shrimp, and intend on adding some endlers and perhaps a couple of ottos once the RCS are established and the plants have grown in better.

I'll be eager to see how you put yours together and how the CO2 may affect it. I've never done anything beyond a low-tech setup, but I'm curious after seeing all the lush high tech tanks. I'd like to see if I can baby-step my way into it.

I recommend taking a look at the Fluval Spec line.
Grah the great and Econde like this.

Matthew
38G: AquaClear70: Planted, 1 Angel, 6 Tetras, 1 Platy, 1 Bristlenose Pleco.
5G Fluval Spec V: Built-in filter, Heavily planted, RCS and Tangerine Tiger Shrimp

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
That's a sound plan. Might I suggest floating plants. It really helps offset algae in the beginning. But YMMV.
Yeah, I was thinking of using Riccia for that purpose...also, I was thinking of using springtails to eat any mold that develops during the dry start, and if floating plants are present the colony may survive post flooding and provide a live food source for the fish that would eventually be added to the setup. In view of my recent research, I may use pumice instead of the soil layer, and may use biological filtration after all just to be safe.
Econde likes this.

Last edited by Grah the great; 08-28-2020 at 09:04 PM. Reason: A few more details

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode