2Likes
  • 1 Post By minorhero
  • 1 Post By minorhero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Suggestions for first riparium?

Hey planted tank friends! I have a 6 gallon rimless arriving tomorrow that I want to use for my first riparium. I'd appreciate any plant suggestions and inspirational images if you have them. I picked up a bag of florite dark for substrate over the weekend. Also, I have not decided if I'll put in fish/shrimp and probably won't until I know everything else is established and working. It may never get more than plants as there isn't a lot of room to work with.

Dimensions: 14.2"9.4"11" ( 360 x 240 x 280mm ) & 5.8 gals ( 22 L ).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3 planted nano community fish tanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have the tank, substrate and hardscape. I need plants and to sort out lighting and I can get this project going!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 01:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil8 View Post
Hey planted tank friends! I have a 6 gallon rimless arriving tomorrow that I want to use for my first riparium. I'd appreciate any plant suggestions and inspirational images if you have them. I picked up a bag of florite dark for substrate over the weekend. Also, I have not decided if I'll put in fish/shrimp and probably won't until I know everything else is established and working. It may never get more than plants as there isn't a lot of room to work with.

Dimensions: 14.2"9.4"11" ( 360 x 240 x 280mm ) & 5.8 gals ( 22 L ).
Will you have a part of land that is completely dry or will there just be a portion that is more shallow?

Just in general though brazilian pennywort and hair grass grows very well both in and out of the water.
evil8 likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Will you have a part of land that is completely dry or will there just be a portion that is more shallow?

Just in general though brazilian pennywort and hair grass grows very well both in and out of the water.
I tore out a ton of brazillian pennywort from my 29 gallon a few weeks ago. It had taken over and choked out almost everything else in the tank. I'm hoping I can use some corrugated plastic to create some dry terrestrial area as well as area for partially submerged planting. One of the online plant sellers is working out a box deal for me for plants though I have yet to find out what they are. I also have some hydrcotal japan coming that I purchased from a member here.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 02:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I tore out a ton of brazillian pennywort from my 29 gallon a few weeks ago. It had taken over and choked out almost everything else in the tank. I'm hoping I can use some corrugated plastic to create some dry terrestrial area as well as area for partially submerged planting. One of the online plant sellers is working out a box deal for me for plants though I have yet to find out what they are. I also have some hydrcotal japan coming that I purchased from a member here.
Hydrcotal japan is another plant that will take over if you let it. I have pennywort in a low tech aquarium and in a newly setup shallow pond style tank. In the latter I have it draped over some wood above water. If you keep it trim its not a big deal but yeah, its crazy prolific once it gets going.

Ludwigia is another one that will grow in and out of the water so long as its feet are wet. Assuming the ludwigia you get is being grown submerged I would not take a whole stem and plant it. The top of the stem will get too dry and die out on you. Instead cut it into sections and plant it so the roots are in water and the top few leaves are just sticking out of the water. If it was grown emersed you don't need to worry about this.

Bacopa is another one this works well for.

edit: also rotala come to think of it.
evil8 likes this.

Last edited by minorhero; 08-05-2020 at 02:33 PM. Reason: reason
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Hydrcotal japan is another plant that will take over if you let it. I have pennywort in a low tech aquarium and in a newly setup shallow pond style tank. In the latter I have it draped over some wood above water. If you keep it trim its not a big deal but yeah, its crazy prolific once it gets going.

Ludwigia is another one that will grow in and out of the water so long as its feet are wet. Assuming the ludwigia you get is being grown submerged I would not take a whole stem and plant it. The top of the stem will get too dry and die out on you. Instead cut it into sections and plant it so the roots are in water and the top few leaves are just sticking out of the water. If it was grown emersed you don't need to worry about this.

Bacopa is another one this works well for.
I just got the plant package finalized -

Alternanthera Reineckii | Easy Red Aquarium Stem Plant - Potted
Bacopa Monnieri - Bunched
Christmas Moss - 2 Oz Cup Portion
Cryptocoryne Lucen - Potted
Ludwigia SP Red | Ludwigia Palustris | Fast Growing Easy Red Plant - Potted
Pearlweed - Potted
Pennywort - Potted
Rotala Indica - Potted

I'll see how these go in and work from there.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 02:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I just got the plant package finalized -

Alternanthera Reineckii | Easy Red Aquarium Stem Plant - Potted
Bacopa Monnieri - Bunched
Christmas Moss - 2 Oz Cup Portion
Cryptocoryne Lucen - Potted
Ludwigia SP Red | Ludwigia Palustris | Fast Growing Easy Red Plant - Potted
Pearlweed - Potted
Pennywort - Potted
Rotala Indica - Potted

I'll see how these go in and work from there.
Not sure of the pearl weed or the Reineckii, but I am certain everything else there can be grown out of the water if the feet are wet. The moss needs to be kept reasonably moist. If you have done emerged wood before then you know that area where the wood is a darker color because its wet even though above the water line? That's your sweet spot for moss. Sometimes moss will wick water if its both submerged and emerged in a matt, then you can get it growing beyond that sweet spot. Otherwise you need to mist it daily.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Not sure of the pearl weed or the Reineckii, but I am certain everything else there can be grown out of the water if the feet are wet.
I was just looking most of these up to see where they may get planted. It will be an interesting project for sure.

Quote:
The moss needs to be kept reasonably moist. If you have done emerged wood before then you know that area where the wood is a darker color because its wet even though above the water line? That's your sweet spot for moss. Sometimes moss will wick water if its both submerged and emerged in a matt, then you can get it growing beyond that sweet spot. Otherwise you need to mist it daily.
Thanks. That's good to know. I haven't gotten around to tying moss to wood yet. My first attempt years ago went badly and it all ended in a pile at the bottom of my tank. I only have moss on one piece of wood because it landed there and grew to the wood that way. LOL!

This will be an interesting project for sure!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 07:54 PM
Algae Grower

I think that you can glue moss onto wood with cyanoacrylate glue if you don't want it to fall. I can also attest to ludwigia growing well out of the water at normal humidity. Crypts can also be grown out of the water but they require very high humidity.
Also, I use shower caddies to hold up my riparium plants in my larger aquarium and a piece of wood on my smaller one.
Here's a video that I saw recently that you might find cool.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean09 View Post
I think that you can glue moss onto wood with cyanoacrylate glue if you don't want it to fall.
Yes. That works well on rocks too.

Quote:
I can also attest to ludwigia growing well out of the water at normal humidity. Crypts can also be grown out of the water but they require very high humidity.
Cool. Thanks for that. I don't have that much humidity going on... I lose 2 gallons a week in the living room tanks already, so I'll take that into account. I might have to do heavy misting of the outgrowing plants.

Quote:
Also, I use shower caddies to hold up my riparium plants in my larger aquarium and a piece of wood on my smaller one.

Here's a video that I saw recently that you might find cool.
Nice! I have some plastic divider thingies coming in the next day or two. I didn't know if I'd use them or not, but I wanted something on hand for that purpose if I needed it. That was indeed a cool video!

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 08:49 PM
Algae Grower

The only problem with the shower caddies is that the suction cups aren't that great so I have to rescue my plants occasionally when they fall into the tank. Also, you probably already came across this but here's a really great thread for finding riparium plants https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...lant-list.html

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
The only problem with the shower caddies is that the suction cups aren't that great so I have to rescue my plants occasionally when they fall into the tank. Also, you probably already came across this but here's a really great thread for finding riparium plants https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...lant-list.html
I'll most likely end up siliconing everything in place. I did not come across that link before, so thanks for that. I'll look closer at it after work.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode