Have I corrected a beginners mistake? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BS3915

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Have I corrected a beginners mistake?

So I planted my first tank about 6 weeks ago, maybe more, tank was perfect, not one hitch in the growing of the tank, even managed to get it fully stocked without any problems.

But I made one mistake, I planted some stem plants in the back corner to densely, caused me to have 25% of my tank uninhabitable for any of my livestock because roots sprouted all over the place and unable to trim due to location.

So today I took them out, I trimmed them down fully, then grabbed as many roots as I could and got them out.

Iíve replanted my first ďadvancedĒ plant which is Rotala Wallichii, I have decent lighting and co2 so hopefully it survives. The second plant is Echinodorus Martii.

My question is Iím assuming the old plants cannot regrow from a tiny root left under soil?

Iíve attached photos of before and after.

Ps. My carpet plant is still not growing as full as I assumed, I have read that my soils may not be fine enough for it, but Iíve seen many photos of the same soil being used and a full carpet spread, any tips?

Before:

After:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
victorusaconte likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 06:54 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS3915 View Post
So I planted my first tank about 6 weeks ago, maybe more, tank was perfect, not one hitch in the growing of the tank, even managed to get it fully stocked without any problems.

But I made one mistake, I planted some stem plants in the back corner to densely, caused me to have 25% of my tank uninhabitable for any of my livestock because roots sprouted all over the place and unable to trim due to location.

So today I took them out, I trimmed them down fully, then grabbed as many roots as I could and got them out.

Iíve replanted my first ďadvancedĒ plant which is Rotala Wallichii, I have decent lighting and co2 so hopefully it survives. The second plant is Echinodorus Martii.

My question is Iím assuming the old plants cannot regrow from a tiny root left under soil?

Iíve attached photos of before and after.

Ps. My carpet plant is still not growing as full as I assumed, I have read that my soils may not be fine enough for it, but Iíve seen many photos of the same soil being used and a full carpet spread, any tips?

Before:

After:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Inhabitable" doesnt exist when talking about plants position for more space. All life forms will have 100% of your tanks size

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 07:28 PM
Algae Grower

Typically small roots don't have enough stored energy to regrow the plant. If you cut a strongly rooted plant at the soil it'd be different, but stem plants tend put their effort into above ground growth, so it's probably fine. You might want to share the specific species you removed in case there's an exception. (And there are always exceptions when it comes to plants, trust.)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 03:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Just as a heads up, Echinodorus Martii can get 2 foot tall.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 04:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
I mean, I think the tank looks pretty great!

It looks like you're doing the right thing in trimming the plants back. If you left stem pieces behind, they may sprout off-shoots depending on the plant, but if it's just little root bits, then probably not. And maybe it's just the angle, but the hair grass looks like it's pretty full. Usually though, trimming the grass will encourage horizontal growth assuming other parameters like light, nutrients, and CO2 distribution are sufficient.

It also looks like you have Amazonia or some other type of aquasoil? I'll admit if you're using that, I'm not convinced that the "powder" types being all that much better is anything more than a marketing gimmick. I've grown HC in normal Amazonia and it did fine. It also did fine in the powder type. I'm sure it doesn't hurt, but I wonder what the real percent change is to use powder type soils vs how much more they tend to cost?...

At any rate, trimming will be really important to keep such a small tank looking tidy and open enough for its inhabitants.

Latest tank setup July 2020
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Torn down:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode