3g cube nano tank brainstorm - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
3g cube nano tank brainstorm

Ok nano tank brain storming time. I recently bought a 3g rimless cube for my office desk.
I have 2 stocked/cycled 5g planted tanks at home that I was hoping to borrow plants from.

I also bought a small filter and will need to find a small heater (I hate the look of the large bar shaped ones in small tanks).

*So, looking for suggestions on smaller adjustable heaters.*

I plan to use CaribSea Flora Max (midnight black) capped with Aqueon plant/shrimp substrate (I like the way those little round pellets look). I made this little black river stone “hobbit house” as a hide for whatever fish I put in. I think I’m going to forgo any wood for space purposes.

Plants I have in other tanks: Amazon Sword (that one could use a little help), Anubius petite nana, Christmas moss, Frogbit, marimo moss balls, banana plant (but that’s new and I’m not sure how to make that one propagate). And a heap of some plant that petsmart said was a “foreground plant” that keeps growing taller (in pics, left side of betta tank).

**Plant question: how do I clip these properly so that they will propagate in a different tank and not suffer in my current tank?**

Inhabitant ideas. I plan to move one of my male black nerites to this tank. And for fish I would like either a lone betta, or small school (tetras) or maybe a couple of fancy guppies.

**It’s 3g, what would be fair to the fish?**

OH! And fav SMALL, cost effective, light for planted tanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58994461-9C0C-4350-B618-9ACF01C9C2F0_1596025660365.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	901535  

Name:	BF9E1CD3-F167-47D6-93D2-61567B7A3775_1596025717650.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	901537  

Name:	1B0D1A9C-204E-4F33-86BD-05842E5452AF_1596025806572.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	3.25 MB
ID:	901539  

Name:	BBD7CD50-8A67-4413-A0FC-86DD5AE1FEFB_1596025834181.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	3.53 MB
ID:	901541  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 01:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
You must have taken advantage of the same sale I did, though I got the plain version instead of LED.

For my heater, I sprung for a Cobalt 25W heater because it was the only adjustable heater that looked small, reliable, and not an eyesore.

As far as lighting, my tank is going in the windowsill. It won't need additional lighting.

I don't think the tank is long enough for tetras. I'm trying to decide between a betta and crystal shrimp and kind of inclined towards shrimp. I'd put a few male Endler's rather than guppies in that small a tank. Guppies produce a lot of waste.

That anubias in the top pic looks big enough to propagate. You just cut the rhizome, making sure to leave 3-4 healthy leaves on each side. Once your banana plant has a few leaves it will usually send up a lily pad. Cut the lily pad and leave it to float and it can grow a new plantlet at the bottom of the stalk. I don't see your swordplant unless it's floating in the lower pic? That would explain why it's not doing well. It will be happier planted. Swordplants propagate by putting out a flowering stalk on which plantlets will grow. Once they have a few leaves and and are starting to root you cut off the stalk and plant the babies.

It's a little hard to see in the pictures but the "foreground plant" looks like it might be lobelia cardinalis. If that's what it is, it's a swamp/marginal plant. It will grow submerged but without a lot of light and some CO2 it will probably try to get to the surface.

So without buying new plants you can have anubias, some moss, and the maybe-lobelia.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode