All Advice Welcome - First Planted Tank, Nano Shrimp Build - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile All Advice Welcome - First Planted Tank, Nano Shrimp Build

Hi everyone,

A couple of weeks ago I took the dive and started my first planted tank. It is a 7.5-gallon cube tank, and my intention is to make it a shrimp specific tank (some neocardina davidi variety, maybe with a nerite or two). I am just in the early fishless cycling phase now, although I did have the advantage of being able to pull some filter media from my established larger tank to give things a boost.

Below I have a bunch of details on my tank as well as photos. I'd welcome any advice relating to:

- possible plant incompatibilities/challenges
- Aquascaping suggestions
- Any suggestions for changes/additions in equipment, if you think something is insufficient.
- Any other suggestions relating to it being a shrimp tank.

Tank Equipment
- 7.5 Glass Cube (12x12x12)
- EcoComplete Substrate
- Aquaclear 20 Filter, with added prefilter
- 50w heater, (set to 74 degrees)
- Fluval Plant Spectrum Nano (10 hr light cycle for baseline)
- NilocG Aquatics Thrive S, 1 pump added 1x week
- No CO2 setup as yet, but open to the possibility

Tank Water Parameters (2 weeks into fishless cycle)
Nitrates - +/- 20 ppm
Nitrites - 3 ppm
Ammonia - +/- .25 ppm
Ph: 7.2
K. Hardness - 120 (my tap water is always super hard, it hasn't interfered with my larger unplanted tank, but will it be a problem here?)
G. Hardness - 180 (ditto)

Plants
- Marimo Moss Balls
- hydrocotyle tripartita
- Rotala rotundifolia (at least, that's what the store told me, online plant pics look different)
- Anubias variants
- I will also be adding some Chola wood in the near future.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 09:53 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Congrats on the set up and it is looking good so far! I am currently working on the exact same type tank and I will also be doing cherry shrimp although I have not decided on what color yet. Since this is your first planted tank, I would recommend that you try it without c02 for now. You could see about adding more plants like java fern, dwarf lily and more annubias. Have you had any algae so far? I see you have a glass lid which I have been considering but I will be adding frogbit, so I will try it without the lid for now. I am looking forward to see how this grows out.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 10:32 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Looks like a good start. I'm iffy on keeping heaters in shrimp tanks and even more so in nanos, but if it doesn't ever creep up past 76 or so, should do no harm. I've tinkered with adding them to all of my shrimp tanks and eventually tend to just remove them. Neos are really fine as long as water is over 40, though that may be getting too cold for lots of plants and some snails. My biggest issue with heaters is that not having one is far better than having one fail in the on position, and most of the lower wattage ones aren't terribly well-made. My best advice after that is to let this one run without shrimp for as long as you can stand it! If you can go 90 days or so, it should be a nice stable ecosystem full of food for them.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

Tags
advice, nano aquarium, new aquarium, shrimp, shrimp tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode