• 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By DaveKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
mhx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
nano tank hidden filter or hob?

Just curious to see which you guys feel is a better option for a filter.

I guess the nice thing about the hidden option is you dont see anything in the tank. But does one work better over the other?

Just looking to setup a small 5gal nano planted tank. Leaning on the MarineLand 5 Gallon Portrait Glass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 08:10 PM
Algae Grower

My first planted tank was with a Marineland Portrait and I still use one today. The filter worked fine, though it takes up a good amount of space in the tank (like maybe a whole gallon). I also remember there being a lot of empty space within the filter chamber that I thought could've been used better. I eventually removed the built-in filter and replaced it with an HOB, which is easy to do if you change your mind later.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 06:13 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhx View Post
Just curious to see which you guys feel is a better option for a filter.

I guess the nice thing about the hidden option is you dont see anything in the tank. But does one work better over the other?

Just looking to setup a small 5gal nano planted tank. Leaning on the MarineLand 5 Gallon Portrait Glass.
I have a hidden one in my 8 GAL tank, actually i kind of hid it with tall stem plants and looks more natural, you can check my previous posts. I mean basically they are both filter so its just a matter of aesthetics.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 02:26 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I find internal filters harder to get to and clean, so prefer HOB. I used the small Dennerle internal filters that came with my Shrimp King kits when I first set them up, but after a few months of plant growth it caused a disturbance every time I serviced them. I can pull the sponge out of an Aqua Clear and rinse and replace in about a minute's time without bothering the tank at all. And with a background, there's actually less filter seen when I take photos or video. For my purposes, I generally only want a mechanical filter and perhaps a bag of Purigen and this is hard to pull of in cartridge filters (which is most HOBs and all internals that I'm familiar with).
LarryMac likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 07:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yep, the Aquaclear 20 is easy to clean so you tend to do it more often, perfect size and flow rate for your tank. It doesn’t use manufactured cartridges so beyond using its stock foam block you can cut or pack in any floss/pad/micron media you want, or bag up anything like carbon etc that you want in any quantities you want.

Put a background on tank back and all you’ll see in tank is a small lift tube.
LarryMac likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 05:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

Picked up an Odyssea CFS130 HOB canister for my 17 gallon tank mainly because I wanted a high flow rate tube outflow to plumb in a CO2 diffuser, and to reduce the filter maintenance frequency.

It has a return pipe with either a spray bar or a fan dispersal pattern nozzle, very strong flow when fully opened, I would not use it on aquarium smaller than 10 gallons.

I took out the plastic bio-spheres and replaced them with a expanded ceramic tube bio-media. I also like that the power pump uses a very common aquarium powerhead impeller so replacements bits are easy to find

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 12:44 AM

Just got myself a new nano tank yesterday and was debating between a HOB or canister filter as well. I ended up with the canister filter mainly for the aesthetics, but it did cost a pretty penny. I don't regret it, but if you're on a budget I'd suggest a HOB.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode