Surface Agitation for Fluval Spec V - spray bar? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2020, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Surface Agitation for Fluval Spec V - spray bar?

Hi guys, I’m starting to get some surface film and buildup on my spec v. I purchased a little surface skimmer from InTank which is helpful, but doesn’t help me get enough surface agitation going. It’s a little piece of plastic that covers most of the intake grate.

I have the pump on the lowest setting (getting a betta soon), but was wondering what anyone’s suggeestions might be to get more surface agitation/oxygenation going? Some sort of mini spray bar I could buy or mod?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 09:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have the spec V and the best thing about it is the surface skimmer. You need to adjust the skimmer so there is a differential between the tank side and the filter area so so that the surface is skimmed off and held on the pump side. This increases gas exchange on the tank side.

The way I did it was put a piece of black plastic sheet on the inside of the filter chamber so the water level is pushed up. I used airline tubing to hold the plastic sheet up against the intake.

https://i.imgur.com/I82Mw4y.jpg

notice the water level difference on the tank side to the filter side, this helps pull water over the surface skimmer.

https://i.imgur.com/IdWEZyF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JeYUczE.jpg
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh my gosh this is SO helpful, thank you!!!!!! I’m going to try this and see how it works!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 05:34 PM
Algae Grower

Forgot to mention you should cut the plastic sheet big enough to cover the entire front of the intake. There is a small inlet at the bottom that needs to be covered. I also covered the hole on the top of the small side facing the pump. This forces the water to go where you need it. Keep the grate clean and make sure the surface tension doesn't cover the intake or it won't work.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 10:37 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
If you don’t want to do DIY, inTank Aquatics make a thingie for this:

https://intankaquatics.com/intank-su...and-evo-5-19l/

Plastic, yuck!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 05:11 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipan View Post
If you don’t want to do DIY, inTank Aquatics make a thingie for this:

https://intankaquatics.com/intank-su...and-evo-5-19l/
Is that what OP has? Does it create the same drop-off as the plastic method? I have one of the se coming in the mail
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie92 View Post
Hi guys, Iím starting to get some surface film and buildup on my spec v. I purchased a little surface skimmer from InTank which is helpful, but doesnít help me get enough surface agitation going. Itís a little piece of plastic that covers most of the intake grate.

I have the pump on the lowest setting (getting a betta soon), but was wondering what anyoneís suggeestions might be to get more surface agitation/oxygenation going? Some sort of mini spray bar I could buy or mod?

Thanks!
I just use an air-stone in my Spec V. No surface film.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 09:07 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I just use an air-stone in my Spec V. No surface film.
Yup. A USB nano air pump and never clog airstone from Aquarium Co-op is $10 and it's the best thing for agitation, surface film, it kills duckweed... Surface skimmers get dirty and clogged and can trap shrimp. I'm all about the airstones.
Discusluv likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 07:25 PM
Algae Grower

So I got the intank one today, it doesn't create any sort of difference in water level at all. It hooks into the great on both sides, so instead of directing the water flow over the top, it just directed into the sides and sucks in fish fins
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarew View Post
Yup. A USB nano air pump and never clog airstone from Aquarium Co-op is $10 and it's the best thing for agitation, surface film, it kills duckweed... Surface skimmers get dirty and clogged and can trap shrimp. I'm all about the airstones.
Sweet thanks for the recommendation! So a tiny airstone like that plus a filter sponge over the outflow nozzle would be appropriate for managing scum and quieting flow for a betta?
gjcarew likes this.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 10:14 PM
Planted Member

I cut holes in the uplift tube of my Spec V that runs from the pump to the outflow. That lowered flow enough that I didn't need a sponge.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 08:13 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarew View Post
I cut holes in the uplift tube of my Spec V that runs from the pump to the outflow. That lowered flow enough that I didn't need a sponge.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I did the same thing but with a drill bit. I have my heater in there so it make sure the warm water gets circulated, and now with the pump on the highest setting it creates the perfect current for my betta. He plays in it half the day
gjcarew likes this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 09:18 PM
Algae Grower

Update - I got the more expensive inTank surface skimmer and this one actually works. I had to seal the corners with superglue but I'm happy with the setup
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Would silicone glue also work? I’m paranoid and would want a glue that’s aquarium safe haha
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 06:20 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie92 View Post
Would silicone glue also work? I’m paranoid and would want a glue that’s aquarium safe haha
Sure, but superglue is completely aquarium safe. I'm using the flourish kind you can buy at petco, I mostly use it to attach plants to rocks and moss to wood

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode