Top Fin Retreat Betta Nano Aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By LittleBee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hey guys! Long time no see! I've been MIA on this site for many years for a couple reasons. I'll quickly share them and then go on to showing my setup. 😊

Life took a turn for me. I got pregnant with my now four year old son and dismantled all my aquariums. I had a 75g planted freshwater, a 93g cube reef and a 10g nano reef. I knew that my newborn was going to take up all my time and energy. I do wish I would have at least left the 75g planted tank going bc it really was not high maintenance since it was majority java ferns and Anubias.

The other aspect of it was my now ex husband was not very supportive of my hobby at all. Sure he enjoyed the aesthetic of the aquariums but he didn't like the time or money I spent on it. It made me feel guilty about doing something I enjoyed. Eventually when I took my tanks down he said several times I'm not setting up another tank again. I should have told him to eff off then but I didn't. I just complied and let a little more enjoyment escape from my life. Last year we filed for divorce.

I'm now with someone who loves me for me and supports me in anything I enjoy. He loves the aquarium and fishmeeping hobby too but doesn't have as much experience or knowledge as me. He loves projects though and gets so happy to be able to help me with my tank.

So that's brings me to now and my current tank. Right before I split with my ex last year I got the Top Fin Retreat 5 gallon setup for a betta for my son and I.

My son loves fish and reptiles so I was super excited to get back into the hobby after so long. The tank has shifted over time in appearance but here it is currently.

I'm using Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum as substrate. I actually just put that in there yesterday, before I had crushed shells and such from the local lake. I didn't think about that affecting the water so I replaced it with something more suitable and something that's better for the plants.

For lighting I'm using the lighting that came with the tank and my SO added 18 full spectrum LEDs to it. The tanks light is not full spectrum I don't believe, just white so adding the full spectrum gave it a more clean crisp look. The added lighting also can be changed different colors like red, green, blue and in between colors. I just use the green color for a little bit before bed.

I have Ludwigia, Rotala, Bacopa, Anubias, Moss Balls and one other stem plant that I have yet to be able to identify yet. Maybe you guys can help me on that.

Oh also I need to add a clean up crew to the tank, some snails and I was thinking shrimp but with the betta I'm not sure. Anyone have success keeping shrimp with a betta?

The star of the tank is Halo, my Blue Mustard Betta. He's almost a year now and is the coolest little dude.

As the tank progresses I'll post updates! Thanks for reading! 😊
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200530_222407_1590949463952.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	3.50 MB
ID:	899177  

Name:	20200531_105359_1590949521613.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	3.66 MB
ID:	899179  

Name:	20200531_105627_1590949544182.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	4.14 MB
ID:	899181  

Thelongsnail and doug105! like this.

*Brittany*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-02-2020, 06:32 AM
Algae Grower

Thats a beautiful looking tank and when it fills up more and the plants grow it is gonna look even better. And you betta is amazing, i am getting mine today
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 03:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
That's a sweet little tank you have and a really beautiful betta. I'm glad to hear that you're returning to the hobby and that you now have someone to enjoy it with.

Have you succumbed to the pleasure of Multiple Tank Syndrome? I feel your pain!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2020, 02:54 PM
Algae Grower

Happy you are back and you have a wonderful little restart going there.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode