First Tank - Am I doing it right? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile First Tank - Am I doing it right?

Ive got a Fluval Flex 15 with a 75 watt heater, an additional 12w aquasky light in the lid, passive c02 and a 3w sub50gph uv sterilizer (not in the tank yet). Tank has been filled and filtering for 3 days - Ph is currently 7.4 and ammonia is at 1.0ppm. I'm planning to add 5 easy level plants on Saturday (FUN!). One of my lights is on a timer running white light from 1pm - 7pm (I plan on putting the uv sterilizer on this same timer schedule) and the other light is on full RGB+W from 11am - 8pm with a 1 hour sunrise/sunset.

I am using Seachem stability and the cycle is supposed to be finished by Monday morning I guess. I have a bacterial bloom and the tank has started looking more clear as of today. I am hoping to buy fish on Sunday. My plan was to start with 2 Male Endler Guppies, a Male Calico Platy and a snail. As the tank matures and I get a handle on keeping I would like to add a school of ~8 Rasboras, a Blue Neon Goby, a couple shrimp or a pom pom crab and another snail or two.

I would say the tank will be moderately planted, not heavily - and I got some Flourish Excel I plan to dose very carefully. I hope I'm doing it right. Here are some questions: Should I use ammonia and pH controlling products (I want a pH of 7) or is the key patience (and maybe that mini uv sterilizer)? I kinda understand how many fish I can keep in the tank, but I have no idea how many shrimp/snails/pompoms I could keep in there with the fish. If I keep shrimp will they breed like crazy? Will a single shrimp be stressed? Can I keep the Goby with shrimp and crabs or will they bother each other? Is there anything (fish, tech, youtube channels) anyone recommends I look into as I start this journey? Thanks so much!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200423_180930.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	344.4 KB
ID:	897155  

Last edited by jlizard; 04-24-2020 at 03:31 AM. Reason: wrong fish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 05:00 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Welcome to TPT.

Don't mess with your water. As the tank matures, you will end up around 7 pH anyways. The fish you listed like harder water and higher pH but still will do fine in a broad range. Don't try to achieve a magic number, strive to achieve stability

A good fish load calculator: AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

With common snails, if you have 1 you will have 100.
Have fun!.

Tags
nano aquascape, new aquarium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode