Finished build 25g Lagoon - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Freescape
  • 1 Post By minorhero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2020, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Finished build 25g Lagoon

My tank is currently 2 months old with the fish being in there for only a week. I am looking for some tips and advice seeing as i am newly returning to the hobby.

Tank: 25G IM Lagoon

Lighting: Kessil A360we
Heating: Eheim 75w
Pump: Might Jet 326 gph (its too much current but im using the media reactor to throttle some flow)

Filtration: Currently running purigen, seachem matrix, chemi-pure green, and im trying k1 micro Media through a SOmatic UF-1.

C02: 5lb bottle with a Fzone regulator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SNCQ4WS...ogi&th=1&psc=1 any comments on this one?
ATO: IM Hydrofill TI with 5g res, Topping off with RODI water

Fish: 1 KOI Betta CT, i also have a handful of guppies and 2 Otocinclus. I would like to have 1 betta, 3 ottos, 7. cardinal tetras, 8 guppies, and 8 Cherry shrimp. (is this over doing it?)

Plants: well you tell me im new to this and i really just wung it. Im sure there will be comments about the types of plants for the tank and locations of them. First planted tank ever and i was on a time crunch to get the tank cycling.

Maintenance: currently doing a 4-5 water change weekly adding Seachem Flourish and Seachem Prime. Is it too early to start using flourish, should i dose anything else like iron.

Also curious about using RODI water and Equilibrium for water changes.

Water Chemistry: 4kh 8gh PH 7.1 with no CO2. I feel like i can never accurately gauge nitrates and yes i am shaking the dickens out of the bottle and tube. If i had a gun to my head id say it always feels close to 10 even out of the tap. Would love to start using the RODI water to have 0-low nitrates. I am trying to provide the best conditions possible for the betta.

yes the tank is a lil dirty but im trying to not disturb BB or plants for the early stages. if you have any cool plant suggestions for this shallow bad boy would love to hear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0340(1).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	494.6 KB
ID:	897043  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0339.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	502.4 KB
ID:	897045  

doug105! and P.Isley like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 11:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

Your scape is much better then my first planted tank.

The biggest and most immediate problem I see is mixing the betta with fancy guppies. Every betta is different so maybe you got one of the more peaceful specimens. But its more likely that your betta is just young and as he gets older he will harass and eventually kill those guppies, they just won't be able to swim fast enough to get away from him. If you add more fish this aggression will increase. Endlers would make a better choice since they can swim better then fancy guppies. Still will get aggression but they will be able to get away.

Also I am not certain why you are running so much biological filtration. Your tank appears to have a built in sump behind that false wall. Generally a bunch of sponge gets stuffed in there or ceramic media if you prefer and your good to go. You definitely do not need that plus a k1 moving bed. Most planted tanks also go light on chemical filtration after the first month or so. The thought being that the chemical filtration can remove some of the ferts we are trying to add. It used to be thought in the hobby that you can never have too much filtration. This thinking has changed though and most now believe you should not have more filtration then you need because your coat of beneficial bacteria will get spread too thin and more prone to crash. Who is right? No idea, but you definitely do not NEED a k1 bed plus sponge, plus ceramic media in a 25 gallon tank.

As far as ferts. Its definitely not too early to add them. Your substrate looks like eco-complete. If it is then know that eco-complete despite what it says on the bag, is inert and contains no nutrients. The water in the bag contained a little fertilizer and that is all. Your nitrates are likely zero and not 10ppm. This is because flourish has almost no nitrogen. The only nitrogen your plants are getting is being produced by your fish and with co2, that is likely not enough. If you go down the seachem line you will need to buy N, P, and K, plus possibly iron. Or you can buy a different fertilizer option which is what most folks do. You can either go the All in One route and get something like Thrive. Or you can buy a fert that has macros in one bottle and micros in another bottle. Ferts are their own rabbit hole so if you decide to do something other then buy an all in one you will want to explore that rabbit hole separately with a bunch of research etc.

Hopefully this helps.
P.Isley likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2020, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Actually i have just Fluorite Black, but i used no additional fertilizers. As of the filtration i was under the impression there is never enough. The K1 was to help reduce flow into the tank some and had the reactor so i thought to use it. I think i am going to put a few holes in the tubing after the pump to cycle back some water and reduce pressure out of the nozzles. Also i felt like my tank wasnt cycling fast enough so i stacked up the media.

I see what your saying about the guppies and i definitely will monitor the situation more closely as the fish ages. I'm trying to recreate a tanks where i had Betta in a 30g community tank with fancy guppies when i was a kid and he was really chill with the other fish(also had neon's). Granted that was a Petco fish and now i have a well bred imported fish who does have some aggression. He does flare up to drive away some of the guppies out of his area from time to time, but never chases to attack or single any out. There is also a lot of space behind all the rocks and there's even a cave. I just figured there was so many things to break sight and it seems with the jet style current also subsides aggression. Id like to add all the fish love swimming into the jet stream including occasionally the beta so i assume hes okay it even though its not ideal.

I honestly i only plan to use the chemi pure green for the this bag because it has some carbon and i didnt plan to run any, but i feel its good to help me keep the tank consistent with PH a little carbon to help to young BB cant hurt.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 10:33 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Nice setup!! Hoping to get mines there soon

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode