Noob 6.5 gallon tank help - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Noob 6.5 gallon tank help

Hey All,

I've recently purchased a biorb cube 30 litre (6.5 gallon) tank and need help stocking it.

The tank has come with plastic decor but I'm happy to buy live plants if that's the best environment for my potential fish.

I would like a variety of fish even if that may include snails or shrimp, that will happily get along given the size of the tank.

Can anyone give me some advice on which selection of fish & plants I can buy that go well together at a beginner stage?

Happy sending a bit to get my tank going & looking good.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 04:59 PM
Algae Grower

For a tank that size, you're looking at snails, shrimp, and nano fish like chili rasboras or celestial pearl danios. Fish under an inch-- I'd personally stay smaller than neons. Or a betta or a dwarf puffer.

For plants, the easy small plants for me are anubias, java fern, wendtii crypts, maybe dwarf sag if you're okay with it growing tall enough the tops float along the top of the water (I have some in my 5 gallon). Some stem plants like ludwigia, so long as you trim them as they reach the top. Java moss or subwassertang is nice--I prefer the subwassertang because it's not as messy and isn't so light it floats all over the place.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 09:53 PM
Algae Grower

There are many nano fish to choose from. Some of my favorites are Ember Tetras, Chili Rasboras, and Pygmy Corys. You can also go with some shrimp, or snails. Really it depends on what you are looking to get out of the tank. In my 7g, I have Embers, Pygmy Corys and a few shrimp in there to help clean up a bit.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
In small tanks like that I -personally- like to go with just shrimp/snails alone OR nano fish.
With Nano-fish In small tanks I like to go with fish that are NOT live-bearers-- so I am not overrun.

There are so many great shrimp to go with-- that would be my choice for a tank of that size. And, of course, some live plants.
But, with shrimp you need to really cycle the tank well and get a good layer of biofilm and critters so that they thrive. Plan on not adding shrimp for at least 6 weeks.
forksnbolts likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode