5Likes
  • 1 Post By ajmckay
  • 1 Post By SueD
  • 3 Post By Nubster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plans for my first planted tank - thoughts?

Greetings all! I've never attempted a planted tank before, but I'm going all in with this first attempt - trying to do it right. My goal is a high tech planted nano with an emphasis on the foreground plants. Themes are 1) Simplicity - along the lines of the Iwagumi style 2) excellent aesthetics - I would like to be able to photograph at a moments notice 3) Regular but not over the top maintenance.

My inspiration is the European aquascaping scene on YouTube - GreenAqua, Jurijs Jutjajevs, George Farmer, Amateur Aquatics, and TheCineScaper in particular. I like their approach to the hobby and their design philosophies as well.

I'm looking for suggestions on what will/won't work and suggestions to make it better. Budget is $4-500.

Tank: Lifeguard aquatics Low iron glass 9.6G (18x11x12) or the Landen C30 7.1G (12" cube)
Light: One Flat Nano+ (15W) I found a deal on a new one for $55 locally so I got it. Sexxxxxy!
Filter: Oase Filtosmart 100 - I like that this has a heater built in! The alternative is the Eheim Classic 250 + an Eheim Jaeger.
Pipes: Jardli glass on Amazon
CO2: Aquatek mini regulator w/Solenoid. 20oz paintball tank (have), Glosso Factory drop checker, Aquario Nano diffuser. Generic check valve and tubing.
Substrate: AquaSoil Amazonia II 9L
Hardscape: 17lbs Seiryu stone

Plants - Going for a dry start most likely. Plants are the area where I'm most clueless LOL.
Foreground: Dwarf Baby Tears or Monte Carlo and Dwarf Hairgrass
Mid: Staurogyne Repens
Background: Ludwigia Arcuata and/or Vallisneria Spiralis. Maybe a Rotala sp.?

Fish:
1-2 Otocinclus
6-8 small tetra/danio species Probably Ember or Neon Tetras. Anyone know what this is?
1-2 Pygmy Corydoras

Other:
RO water
6-10 week dry start
DIY frosted back
Inkbird digital temperature controller

Questions:
- What, if any fertilizers or additives would be recommended given the plant list above?
- Eventually I may want a moss covered piece of driftwood. What species of moss stays small and would do well here?
- My main sticking point is the filtration. I want quiet and simple! It seems like the eheim really shines here - but I really like that the Oase hides the filter. The Oase is definitely smaller.

Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited by ajmckay; 04-07-2020 at 03:18 AM. Reason: url
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered parts. New tank thread to come!

- Lifegard aquatics 9.6G.
- ONF One flat nano light
- Eheim Jaeger 50w heater (going to try a DIY inline enclosure)
- Aquario NEO extended c02 diffuser
- AquaSoil Amazonia II
- 17lbs of Seiryu stone.
- Seachem Matrix

Still need to get the filter and Co2 equipment.

On the plant side - I've decided to just copy a layout I like. I spent hours going through historical AGA submissions and found one that I'm essentially going to copy (mostly). Same type of rock, and for the most part same plants. I think being my first try that sounds like a good way to do it. I did learn a lot going through hundreds of entries though. In particular some years publish the comments from judges and those are pretty helpful.
peevo likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here's the link to the AGA history that I used.

https://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2020, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmckay View Post

Fish:
Anyone know what this is?
1-2 Pygmy Corydoras
Looks like Axelrodia Riesei, the Ruby Tetra

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/axelrodi-riesei/

I have 3 of these in a Spec V remaining from a school of 7 I got over 4 years ago. Nice little fish
ajmckay likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2020, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Cories and oto's are both schooling fish and really should be kept in groups larger than 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info! Ultimately I'll have to see what my LFS has in stock to decide - but I really like the Ruby tetra.

One think the video said (she's quite informative btw) is that they prefer slightly acidic water, around 6.5 pH. I'll have to see how much buffering capacity the Aquasoil Amazonia has because I'm using Seriyu stone. These fish may be incompatible with the type of tank I'm planning. Same with the dwarf corys.

How many Oto's do people usually stock in a 10g. I usually don't go overboard on the algae cleaners because it's tough to tell if they're getting enough sustenance. Would 2-4 work well?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 09:58 PM
Algae Grower

Pygmy corys ftw. You really should keep about 5-6 together, they have goofy behaviors and are all over the tank. Sometimes as a pack, sometimes on solo missions.

Buce Fiend - Small Tank Keeper

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode