New Scaper with a cool build. IM 25g lagoon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Scaper with a cool build. IM 25g lagoon

Hey so quick background im 28 living on Long Island and im new to planted tanks and aquascaping. Ive had several fish tanks in the past to include successfully breeding guppies and betta fish i also had a thriving African Cichlid tank while growing up. long story short a number of Years with the Marines Corps and other jobs which had be bouncing from place to place i never really had an opportunity to get back into the hobby. Im since settled and have already begun to hammer away at the research and dive into purchasing some cool new tech thats developed since i was last in the hobby. I would be extremely receptive of any great input and helpful advice on how to maybe better my setup or point me in the right direction of better products. I have a few goals that may not be achievable, i also understand that i may have to settle on a few of all the idea i have for this tank. This is what ive come up with so far im still open to change things such as design, function or hardware where it make sense to do so.

Goals for this Tank:
Heavily planted tank to include a carpeted foreground tall plants to group to the water surface of 12" and maybe even floating plants.
Wood and blue stone to add to the density
Get red color in some plants
Potentially have Male and a few female bettas in tank. Also Cardinal tetras and a few fancy guppies.
i understand bettas dont get along but im going to test it with a large shallow tank with lots of plant to create separation.

Originally I bought the Innovative marine 25G lagoon for a nano reef tank, i always wanted a salt water tank growing up but never got the chance. I later decided that I still wanted a new challenge to my fish keeping hobby but also keep the tank beautiful and slightly more manageable, so i have decided to go with a planted Betta tank!

ok now TECH! so i probably spent more then i should have but im really looking for lower maintenance and a finish art look.

Tank- Innovative Marine 25g Lagoon (24"x16"x12")
Heater- 75w Ehiem
Filtration- SoMatic UF-1 (media reactor) filled with sand and an Eheim 1000 (220gph) inline with the Might Jet (326gph)
- Media basket with Seachem matrix in bottom 2 layers and fine mesh in top layer
- Filter Sock filled with filter mesh or sponge to reduce clogging
Lighting- Kessil 360we Tuna Sun
CO2- 5lb bottle Seachem 27mm beetle difusor
Stand- APS Black stand
Substrate- Seachem fluorite black to match the tank and stand
Treatments- I plan on using Seachem Purigen and Flourish

i will be updating this thread with pictures and progress soon for now just couple of questions for you guys to start

looking for help with a hard bamboo wood that doesn't leech tannis or too much organic waste?
also do i have to little or too much water flow with the all the filtration and sand reactor?
lastly as many planted tank beginners i need help with choosing plants!

Last edited by Freescape; 02-13-2020 at 12:52 AM. Reason: updated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Removed

Style: Organic potting soil, sand, gravel, wood, plants, moss, snails, shrimp, small fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Skim 350, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

Media:
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 02-12-2020 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Edit
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 07:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

Cool sized tank.

Only thing I see off is you've got about 4x the GPH that you need for planted betta tank. You'll only need about 2x 100gph outputs in that shallow of a planted tank.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

you know that was one of my concerns, it seems thats a good flow rate for a reef tank but when i was at a reefing store the guy working insisted i would need the 220 gph on the second pump to power the sand reactor. it was conflicting with my research and the size pump i was planning for. i still havent been able to get a concrete answer on what exactly i need. @DaveKS do you think the two 90s is enough for the sand reactor and media basket. would be great to reduce flow since it will be going in my room.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 08:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

I wouldn’t bother with sand filter on a freshwater plant tank. Even the matrix would be a optional add on only if you really stock up on other fish besides betta. Even if you do add matrix you’ll probably only need 1/2 a liter at most.

A planted freshwater tank is complete opposite end from reef setup. The substrate and plants are main bio-filter. Worry about easy to clean mechanical filtration and then just having a couple areas for extra easy to access chemical and bio filtration if needed.

Unlike a reef tank ammonium and phosphates are desirable for plant growth. I’d spend my $$ on multi channel dosing pumps rather than sand filters, oversized pumps etc. A single 300-350 gph pump will have plenty of overhead for your betta tank. Maybe look to adding some extra nozzle/spraybar to the loc line water returns so you can get the light, evenly dispersed circulation patterns throughout the whole tank with no dead spots. In fresh you want a nice gentle breeze of a current around the whole tank. Nothing so bombastic that it blows plants sideways or so strong your fish can’t swim in large areas of tank because of to strong a current. Just plants gently swaying all around the tank.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 11:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

I agree 100% with DaveKS.

I will add that a breeding pair of bettas and fancy guppies is a bad idea in just about any size tank. The guppies are not great swimmers and the bettas will definitely tear them up.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey thank you guys! A lot of what you said aligns with things ive read. I guess with being unsure of exactly what i wanted in my tank initially l must have mixed information, also trying to take a little bit from everyone it appears i had some over sights. Im definitely looking into a spray bar and smaller quieter pumps (who makes the quietest pumps?). I dont know if ill dump the sand filter tho i really like the idea of more filtration. as far as the female bettas i think im just going to remove that idea all together i dont want to cause any potential stress to any of the fish. I would still like to put the fancy guppies in the tank are you saying that the betta will pick on the guppies because of breeding or anytime theyre in the tank? i once had a community 30g betta tank with a handful of guppies never really had an issue. thanks again i really appreciate it and i know my fish will too cheers =)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I actually really like the idea of a loc line sprayer bar, but im not sure how attractive it will look in the tank
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 01:15 AM
Planted Member

Looking forward to seeing what it looks like. One thing I noticed is the IM filter socks even brand new don’t pass water well. Most water goes over and around it. Look into the aftermarket baskets from InTank if you find the same. It’s much better than the stock basket! I know you didn’t ask, but just my experience with the IM tanks and something to keep in mind
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i actually had come across those baskets and heard of a few issues w the IM designs, but i figured i try everything out a few cycles to see how i liked everything working. The Intank basket seemed a little pricey to go for right away. Im definitely going to consider some options for improvement though.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 02:52 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freescape View Post
i actually had come across those baskets and heard of a few issues w the IM designs, but i figured i try everything out a few cycles to see how i liked everything working. The Intank basket seemed a little pricey to go for right away. Im definitely going to consider some options for improvement though.
I feel that and agree with you on the price of them. Far too much for what they are. They pop up on eBay and reef2reef every so often. I got mine for like $25 shipped so that helped. I’m looking for a second to replace the IM basket now that the sock is gone
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freescape View Post
If the InTank option seems pricey, then just make a basket with zip ties and cross stitch canvas.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...ml#post9842145

The InTank options look beautiful, until you put it in the filter and never see it till it's time to maintenance it and it's covered in biofilm. Kinda pointless to make it out of such nice materials.

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode