Cheap Pico DIY Challenge! - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By jaurex

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cheap Pico DIY Challenge!

My Wife recently found a few unnamed columnar hex 1.7 gallon, thin acrylic tanks at our local Goodwill. I've been using them as temporary drip acclimation tanks and water changer "buckets". They're a nano "kits" from Imagitarium, which is still being sold on Amazon. They seem to have potential for a Pico tank.

There right now appears to be a good dozen or more of these cheap plastic, cheerfully easy to modify 1 gallon to 5 gallon, tallishly odd shaped tanks by Tetra, Koller, Aqua-Culture, and Imagitarium. Most of them start at about $17 to $30 and the bigger ones are in the $40+ ranges.

I'd like to propose a online challenge, Within a set budget, say $70~$110. You build up and chronicle your own Cheap Pico tank in this thread. The main rule will be you have to start with one of these kits purchased at a box store or online, doesn't matter. You stock and plant from your own larger tanks if possible. Or from purchased or traded plants and critters.

Creative use of DIY skills in aquascaping, lighting and filtering and plant and animal selections will garner likes. I don't see that making this a contest will make it that much fun I'd suggest that this be done in the spirit of sharing our experience, and keeping it fun and low cost with a focus on growing out a nice looking, healthy, tiny invert tank within a budget.

I suspect this will run a few months to a couple years time. What do you think?

Are You up to taking the Cheap Pico Challenge?

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Sounds like a sales ploy.
I buy 2-3g glass vases, bowls, and jars for less $ than those plastic tanks. Michel's art store gets some nice ones you can get real cheap with their periodic 50% off 1 item coupons. Walmart also sold a 2g anchor hawking cookie jar for $10 back when I bought it. Love that tank. Thrift stores are a treasure trove for these glass pico potentials too, got some nice ones for $5 at 2.5g range.
I prefer glass tanks to plastic anyways so guess I won't be joining this.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Not everyone has a Michel's art store near their location, and why would this be a sales ploy? If you're frugal you should be able to make this work for the cost of the kit alone.

Join or not, I will be starting mine in a couple weeks. I find the cheezyness of these beginner tanks appealing. Most end up at garage sales or tossed out.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I feel like I am already in the pico challenge, just without kits.

Style: Organic potting soil, sand, gravel, wood, plants, moss, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Skim 350, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 11:15 PM
Algae Grower

what's a pico challenge?

At least I can grow Algae
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 11:26 PM
Algae Grower

i like the spirit of this idea, ie: seeing what people come up with/how they arrange a pico especially if only stocked with plant trims etc. from your own tanks.

BUT i too prefer glass over plastic and i also don't think there needs to be a 'buy this' in order to do the challenge. How about just limiting it to a set number of gallons, then everyone could pick/choose the container they want?

I would be on board, i think it would be fun and i *think* i can find a spot for another windowsill mini... somewhere.
GrampsGrunge and nel like this.

tomorrow we could all be arrested, tomorrow we could all die

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode