Any plants that don't grow too high? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AquaAurora

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Any plants that don't grow too high?

I've got a 2.5 ish gallon tank that I hope I will put a few cherry shrimp in sometime in the next decade.
The temperature jumps around 65 to 75 Fahrenheit and the tank is 12 ish inches tall.
Currently, there are 2 marimo moss balls in there and some clovers (Marsilea quadrifolia) in there along with a whole ton of water fleas and a few pond snails.
I use API leaf zone sometimes too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Don't add shrimp until you get that temperature stabilized. Shrimp are harder to keep in smaller aquariums because its hard to keep consistent water parameters (including temp, tds, pH).
Marimo grows so slow its a non factor for helping with water quality (2.5 packed full of marimo won't make a dent in nitrates). Also marimo is an extremely slow growing form of hair algae-so don't use any algae-cide products in the tank (including seachem excel).
Are you looking for low, medium, high light plants?
Are you willing to trim plants (like stem plants and mosses)?
Anubias nana, anubias petite, anubias micro, anubias pinto/marble, anbuias coin/round leaf.. I'm sure there are plenty more I'm forgetting. Dwarf hair grass (i've not had much luck with this), crypt parva (grows insanely slow-don't wait for it to carpet the tank, it'll take forever), echinodorus parviflorus (small sword plants-needs ferts including iron), micro sword (tiny grass like sword-takes a long time to fill in).
If willing to trim:
Pretty much all mosses, monte carlo or glosso.. or dwarf baby tears (if medium/high light), hydro japan.
stems like: hornwort, luwigia, anacharis, rotala, pearlweed, guppygrass
There are more but that's all I can think of right now.
zwalter08 likes this.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm just looking for mid to background plants because I already have a carpeting plant in there. I have a pretty constant bright light shining into the aquarium too. And yes I am willing to do matinence as long as its not every single day.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Small Brain View Post
I'm just looking for mid to background plants because I already have a carpeting plant in there. I have a pretty constant bright light shining into the aquarium too. And yes I am willing to do matinence as long as its not every single day.
Ah sorry misread as looking for foreground plants.
I'm fan of 'dwarf' (usually not true dwarf) sag gets around 6-8" does NOT cut like hair grass..but it gets prolific once established.
Italian or corckscrew vals are a trim-able 'grass' you can use for mid or back. tons of stems, blyxa j. , downoi is a personal fav for me.. want to get a hold of that again.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Do you think Java moss could be fine in my tank? I have a stack of 3 red rocks in my aquarium. Could I attach the java moss to my rocks easily?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode