Nano Tank Journal - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nano Tank Journal

My beautiful wife bought me a planted tank for Christmas; so Iím back in the hobby after 6 years! I never did a tank journal for my original tanks, which is a bit sad now. I wish I could go back and remember what I used to know.

Hereís the tank with its initial setup:

It has built in LEDs and an aqueon in-water filter. My wife chose FloraMax sub-straight with an inert black sand cap. She also chose a nice rock, ghost shrimp, java fern, moss balls, and dwarf hairgrass.

Ultimately, I want to move this tank to my office at work and do a real aquascape. However, I canít have the tank look bad; so for the next few weeks the tank is staying home so I can practice and remember.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nano Tank Journal

My goal before moving the tank to my office is to get it to grow something tricky. Iím thinking that HC Cuba is a good test; if I can grow that then Iíll move the tank to my place of work. Which means Iíll need to dial in the light, CO2, and ferts.

For the light, Iím happy to see how much has changed in the last 6 years. In particular, I like what Iím seeing in this Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano.

Itís a much brighter light and Iíll have the ability to tune its color spectrum, at some point in the future. I also need to figure out how much par Iím actually getting from this light.

For today, I set up a simple schedule. Most of the light will be ~50% power since I donít have co2 yet.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Day 2 - Fertilizers

So I spent a lot of time re-learning some of what I have forgotten about planted tank fertilizers. I re-researched EI and PPS and took a casual look at PMDD and ADA methods. Last time I ran EI with good success, but this time PPS seems to be calling me.

In reality I'm planing to bastardize both methods and do something that makes sense to me. PPS classic has a component of testing regularly and establish trends; whereas EI teaches that over-fertilization isn't a bad thing. My plan is to measure what I can, over fert what I can't, and read the plant leaves to show me if I have a problem.

So, I can measure N, C, P, Ca, GH, Fe, and (I'm told) can calculate Mg level. What I can't measure is K, S and other trace elements. For the first few weeks, I'm going to focus on N, P, K, C and ignore the rest of the elements. For aquatic life, I only have ghost shrimp, amano shrimp, and assassin snails so the TDS from them should be effectively computed in as part of the baseline.

I've created a fertilizer journal: (Live readonly link)
https://1drv.ms/x/s!AiojlU9HdEmCiM04kaQ47uYdPC9wjg

I plan to record what I put into the tank, and measure N & P and TDS. I'll only be dosing with KNO3 and KH2PO4 at first. My thought is if I know the TDS changes and I can measure N & P ppm then K is the only unknown in the tank.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 10:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Remember that many of the dosing methods call for a very large plant mass. Careful with the algae bloom that could come from dosing with a low plant mass.

Subbed! Definitely want to see how the tank matures.

Miami
55 gal Community
2 Beamswork F-Spec, CO2Art Regulator and Atomizer, Fluval 406
Fluval Edge 5 gal
Current Freshwater Plus
10 gal Algae Grower/Shrimp Breeder
Finnex 24/7 LED
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 10:29 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinkscott View Post
She also chose a nice rock, ghost shrimp, java fern, moss balls, and dwarf hairgrass.
Do you currently have co2? DHG might struggle without co2 and at least medium light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreesdqban View Post
Remember that many of the dosing methods call for a very large plant mass. Careful with the algae bloom that could come from dosing with a low plant mass.

Subbed! Definitely want to see how the tank matures.

Thanks Krees!

More plants will come; I want to get my underwater gardening skills back before I go big.

My plan is to prove the equipment (and gardener) works then overhaul the tank’s aquascape and move it to my office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Do you currently have co2? DHG might struggle without co2 and at least medium light.
CO2 is on the truck from Amazon; should be here tomorrow night.

Last edited by Justinkscott; 01-03-2020 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Second Answer
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nano Tank Journal

Fertilizers Continued.

It's not realistic to expect myself to measure my fertilizers everyday accurately. So to make my life easy; I created distilled water solutions for KNO3 and KH2PO4. Now when I dose, I use a syringe to measure out a quantity of the solution instead of relying on measuring weight.

For my initial recipe, my solutions are as follows:

KNO3 (per CC)
+10ppm of N
+6.5ppm of K

KH2PO4 (per CC)
+1ppm of P per CC
+0.5ppm of K

This way, if my NO3 is low I can simply add a CC of KNO3 and kick it back up by 10ppm! No math, no hassle.

If anyone is interested in the math, the excel sheet I shared earlier has the information on the second sheet. Let me know if I made a mistake.

Last edited by Justinkscott; 01-03-2020 at 12:20 AM. Reason: formatting
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 12:19 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinkscott View Post
Fertilizers Continued.

It's not realistic to expect myself to measure my fertilizers everyday accurately. So to make my life easy; I created distilled water solutions for KNO3 and KH2PO4.

Now when I dose, I use a syringe to measure out a quantity of the solution instead of relying on measuring weight.

For my initial recipe, my solutions are as follows:
- KNO : 1CC yields +10ppm of N and +6.5ppm of K
- KH2PO4 : 1CC yields +1ppm of P and +0.5ppm of K

This way, if my NO3 is low I can simply add a CC of KNO3 and kick it back up by 10ppm! No math, no hassle.
Once you jump to getting a doser you're guna wonder what took you so long.

FYI, this is the one I have:
https://www.amazon.com/Jebao-Program.../dp/B014KKCILE
Just set it and forget it!

Miami
55 gal Community
2 Beamswork F-Spec, CO2Art Regulator and Atomizer, Fluval 406
Fluval Edge 5 gal
Current Freshwater Plus
10 gal Algae Grower/Shrimp Breeder
Finnex 24/7 LED
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreesdqban View Post
Once you jump to getting a doser you're guna wonder what took you so long.

FYI, this is the one I have:
https://www.amazon.com/Jebao-Program.../dp/B014KKCILE
Just set it and forget it!

Yeah. I've been looking at that one. I'm sure I'll have one eventually.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

And now I have co2! I have it set at 2 bubbles per minute and will see what the drop checker looks like tomorrow.

Reviews:

FZone CO2 regulator Overall, it’s exactly what I expected. At first, it wouldn’t depress my co2 bottle’s needle valve at first; but I got it working. The needle valve is great for fine adjustments. Happy with my purchase.

Drop Checker . Good quality, good packaging, good instructions, and all inclusive. Happy with my purchase.

C02 Diffuser Overall I'm happy enough with it. It has it's own integrated bubble counter, which is nice. However, it leaks a large bubble on the side at 20+ psi. It's probable a defective unit, so I'm going to email the company about the issue.

U Shape Pipe Tubing seal leaks audibly under 30+ psi pressure, probably leaks under lower pressure too. Only provided a 1 meter line of hose, which is what was described, but I didn't realize it at the time of purchase. Overall, and will replace it at some point.

Last edited by Justinkscott; 01-03-2020 at 11:17 PM. Reason: elaborating
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Surprisingly the drop checker hasn't become green yet. I've been increasing the BPS from 2 per minute to now 2 per second. I'm starting to wonder if the drop check solution is incorrect. My hardness test kit hasn't arrived yet, so I only have the drop checker to believe.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update, the CO2 diffuser finally turned green after 2hours @2 BPS. I'm backing it back to 1BPS.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 07:08 PM
Suspended

If you haven't done, it test to see what your ph drop is from degassed (tap sitting for an hour or so) and your tank water when the drop checker is green and then later in the day. Your looking for an approx. 1.0 drop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nano Tank Journal

I havenít updated in a while, so this will be a large update.

Here is the tank after a week or two of growth. The dwarf hair grass started to give off shoots; so I cut the child plants and moved them into their own space.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nano Tank Journal

Now, itís always been my plan to grow a grassy field scene scape with this tank. So I started the search for a bonsai a couple weeks back.

I found this one on eBay:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode