• 1 Post By DaveKS
  • 1 Post By minorhero
  • 1 Post By Asteroid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
2.5 Gallon aquascape/planting and tech advice

First Thread guys!! So excited to join the community.

I recently scaped a glass 2.5 gallon tank measuring 10L X 6W X8H. I bought an Azoo 60 filter and a Finnex Stingray clip on light (white, blue, and red,) and I plan to run DIY co2 diverting off of the main system I use on my planted leader tank. Fluval stratum, crushed root tabs.

My questions include…
The stingray looks visually bright, but any idea idea as to if this would constitute high light? I will include a photograph. If I manage to rig the Co2 properly, I'm interested in trying my luck with dwarf baby tears, to keep the scale right, but I could use monte carlo, as I have had success with it in the past. That leads to my next question; should I attempt to dry start this bad boy? the stratum is VERY light, and I'm concerned that the large bank I have in the back left will unceremoniously level if I fill it with water. I figured I could try my hand at a dry start to allow the carpet's root system to support the substrate before I fill.

Alsoooo….Glosso factory all in one fertilizer. Yes, no? Maybe so?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1651.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	890099  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here's a better photo. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2830.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	890205
Econde likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeFresh View Post
Here's a better photo. Attachment 890205
I love these gravity defying photos how do you do it!?
Joking aside you can look up finnex clipon par there are some graphs and youtube reviews that will give you par info.

according to the below link https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...ead-watts.html

Quote:
"Low light - 15-30 micromols of PAR - CO2 is not needed, but is helpful to the plants
Medium light - 35-50 micromols of PAR - CO2 may be needed to avoid too many nuisance algae problems
High light - more than 50 micromols of PAR - pressurized CO2 is essential to avoid major algae problems"
I'm using 2 clipons on a 6g bookshelf tank on a windowsill with soil base, crypts and moss mostly. Have some hair algea but that's probably from the indirect sunlight.
RyeFresh likes this.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 08:11 PM
Algae Grower

The hard scape looks fantastic! One thing to keep in mind is that the hard scape is the bones for your garden. Those smaller rocks will quickly be overcome by most carpeting plants.

Looking forward to seeing your tank grow!
minorhero and RyeFresh like this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 09:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yep agree on small rock vanishing once carpet plants become involved. Better use would be to assemble a small pile of some of them 2/3 way over to right and slightlymore forward than main rock on left to act as a counter point/provide balance between left third of tank and right third.
RyeFresh likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 12:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you use a colander, clump of paper towels, or bubble wrap your hill should not collapse when submersed. It may collapse when you fill it because of the water falling on it, hence the various options to diffuse the water so it doesn't hit the substrate directly.

I have done exactly one dry start on a reasonably level surface and found it very easy to do. Other people have trouble with dry starts when they either 1) can not be around their tank every day to spray it 3-6 times a day, and/or 2) have hills in their tank such as you have that will mean the middle and top portions of your scape will dry out quicker and more thoroughly then the bottom portions, thus keeping everything moist is very difficult.

I echo the others that your scape looks great now but will not look as good with carpeting plants. So you may want to redo anyway.
RyeFresh likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 12:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

Purely the way I see your tank and it's ultimately up to you. If your going with stem plants those thin twigs would look good the way they are, poking through once it fills in. If you only going with ground cover than I would bunch them up more around the main rock area.

As far as the rocks working with HC, I would just remove some of the flatter ones, so theres more room for the carpet. Other rocks you can either pull up a bit or put a small flat stone like slate under then to give them some more height so they won't get lost in the carpet.
RyeFresh likes this.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I did some einsteining from a formula i found on reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/PlantedTank..._and_distance/
I seems like i should be getting around 40 at the lowest part of my substrate, 9 inches from the fixture, when water is added. I can work with that.

Bump: As far as the rocks working with HC, I would just remove some of the flatter ones, so theres more room for the carpet. Other rocks you can either pull up a bit or put a small flat stone like slate under then to give them some more height so they won't get lost in the carpet.[/QUOTE]

I do agree. I'll make some of the larger ones protrude from the substrate higher so they will survive the carpet onslaught.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
If you use a colander, clump of paper towels, or bubble wrap your hill should not collapse when submersed. It may collapse when you fill it because of the water falling on it, hence the various options to diffuse the water so it doesn't hit the substrate directly.

I have done exactly one dry start on a reasonably level surface and found it very easy to do. Other people have trouble with dry starts when they either 1) can not be around their tank every day to spray it 3-6 times a day, and/or 2) have hills in their tank such as you have that will mean the middle and top portions of your scape will dry out quicker and more thoroughly then the bottom portions, thus keeping everything moist is very difficult.

I echo the others that your scape looks great now but will not look as good with carpeting plants. So you may want to redo anyway.
My next semester is online, so ill be nice and cozy in my place a lot to keep it wet. I didn't actually give much consideration to the sloping making moisture retention difficult. Could even lead to some pooling towards the front in attempts to keep the elevated regions moist. Good advice
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Purely the way I see your tank and it's ultimately up to you. If your going with stem plants those thin twigs would look good the way they are, poking through once it fills in. If you only going with ground cover than I would bunch them up more around the main rock area.
How would you feel about dwarf sag? The tank is tiny. I feel as if stems could be a lot of trimming.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 04:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeFresh View Post
How would you feel about dwarf sag? The tank is tiny. I feel as if stems could be a lot of trimming.
Dwarf Sag can work. Problem with dwarf sag is, that it's not always so dwarf. Everytime I've had it they grow pretty big. They will also take over a small tank pretty quickly and you'll be digging it up, which is worse than trimming.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Dwarf Sag can work. Problem with dwarf sag is, that it's not always so dwarf. Everytime I've had it they grow pretty big. They will also take over a small tank pretty quickly and you'll be digging it up, which is worse than trimming.
Interesting. I'll do some research and try to find something for background height. Thanks Asteroid

Tags
carpet plant, dry start method, finnex stingray, nano aquascape

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode