2.5 Gallon, Planted, CO2 Guidance? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AquaAurora

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
2.5 Gallon, Planted, CO2 Guidance?

Hi all,

I'm new to the group but not to fish keeping. I'm giving planted tanks a go with an unusual 2.5 gallon nano tank I want to plant heavily.

I'm struggling with what I'm going to need when it comes to CO2 and what would be the most cost effective way to go about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 01:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

There are several co2 options available. The most cost effective (cheapest) option is to do DIY CO2. For that you need a 2 liter bottle of soda (empty of soda) some airline tubing. A drill. Some epoxy. An intake diffuser. And whatever you want to use to create co2 (yeast and sugar, baking soda and sugar, etc).

You can go pressurized which will be more expensive. Probably run you closer to 200-300 dollars if you go relatively cheap with a pressurized system. Not sure what your price point is.

There are cheaper pressurized systems but frankly they are not as good and have their own risks. Bottom line is if you are not ready to drop say 200-300 dollars on CO2 then you are likely in the DIY co2 arena.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 09:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
There are some plants that will not need co2 (Anubias, java ferns, bolbitis) and will grow slowly without it but happily and greenly....what are you thinking of planting?
For DIY CO2 options (baking soda/citric acids or yeast) you want to watch the plethora of YouTube videos about setting up and using these.
And I agree with minor hero, reliable co2 under pressure will be 200$ min (and you will want a system that can be adjusted down to very little co2 for the tiny tank).

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 07:09 PM
Algae Grower

I was in the same scenario with a 2.5 gallon and I found, which may have not been the cheapest in the long run, the easiest for me was disposable CO2 cartridges. I got the fluval 20g kit and used that regulator and tubing. Then i went on amazon and bought a cheap bubble counter and diffuser. This for me was simple because i didn't have anywhere to refill CO2 canisters and with only a 2.5 gallon it wasn't that expensive to buy disposable cartridges. However if I did it again i might go with the fluval 45g kit and do the same thing with that kit. Just my 2 cents hope it helps.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I'd like to chime in on the question of if you need co2. As stated above there are some common plants that grow slow and don't need co2.
It depends on the plants you want and the light you use-stronger lights needs co2 to combat hair algae.
That said I have a 5g set up with soil base (look up "walsted method") and sand cap. Packed with fast growing stem plants and no co2. It was getting a lot of light but never developed hair algae because of the amount of plants +decomposing soil making its own co2 source.
Don't try a soil based tank unless you can pack it completetly with medium to fast growing plants right off the bat. Also do not put any fish/inverts in a soil based tank for several months as the soil will leeh ammonia (add a filter-no hassle cycle for you done in around 2-3 months).
I've not used co2 on any of my tanks, I can't grow hc(dwarf baby tears) or dwarf hair grass but have managed a lot of other medium-high ish light plants.
zwalter08 likes this.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode