• 1 Post By Damaba
  • 1 Post By Damaba

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
5 gallon Nano Planted

Hello planted tank community,
Iíve always had an interest in aquariums since I was a kid, thereís something otherworldly about them that still memorizes me to this day. Iíve experimented with salt water and freshwater and sizes ranging from 30-17 gallons. About 10 years ago I discovered the wonderful Iwagumi style and It really opened my eyes to the possibilities of an aquarium. I attempted a traditional Iwagumi tank with a 17 gallon rimless and all the fancy trimming of glass Lilly tubes and such. I loved it! Although the initial set up can be expensive I did find that it was surprisingly easy to take care of, only about hour a week to maintain.

That was about 2 years ago and Iíve been tankless since. Due to the restrictions in my apartment building I am limited in size, so with those restrictions I decided to truly explore the possibilities of a nano tank. For this tank Iíve set a few ground rules for myself.

1. Keep it as low of a budget as possible with still incorporating the things I find important. ( Light control, general ascetics, minimal equipment showing)
2. Tank must bee under 5 gallons
3. Tank needs to be easily maintained
4. Enjoy!

Equipment
6.6 Top Finģ Engageô 5 Gallon Aquarium (Petsmart)- 40$
Aquaclear Biomax 50 galon biomedia 5$
Rhinox Nano CO2 Diffuser 6$
CO2-Proof Tubing 10$
Mr. Aqua N-MAR-066 1 L Fine Pet Habitat Water Plant Soil 16$
Aquarium Heater 22$
Fluval Hagen Biological Enhancer for Aquarium 5$
Sand 10$
Rocks 10$
Armour Etch 2.8 Oz Etch Cream 10$
Windbells Aquarium Thermometer 6 $
Hagen Fluval Plant Bluetooth Nano LED Aquarium Light 85$
Total= 225$

Tools I already had
Co2 Paint 1 liter canister with regulator
Tweeters for planting
Scissors for timing
Power strip
Nano Syphon for cleaning
2 gallon bucket

The Tank
I selected this tank because of its affordability and the fact this it was quite eye catching. It already had a unique design with is semi rimless appearance and itís white background where the filtration and heating elite could hide. I knew that I would need to modify the plastic lid to instal my own light and did so with a dremal tool and some sand paper. For an added touch of finesse I etched the top 3/4 inch of glass to create a fogged effect to hid the harshness of the light entering the tank and to hid the fluctuations in the surface water level.

One design change is the interior of the tank. it does have a more narrow weigh since about 1 1/2Ē is take up by the back filtration wall. this should be interesting to scape

rakali likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Some scape Ideas

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 11:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Like the etching idea, looks classy.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Is that a flex mount for a Fluval Plant Nano?

I have a strange Italian and/or German tank with some Fluval branding that seems like a cousin to your tank:

https://www.askollaquarium.com/en-us...and/pure-l-led

It was on sale at a LFS, and I have never seen it in person before or after.

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 11-11-2019 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Details
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is just a cheep American tank. https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks-...ium-54158.html
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 04:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nothing wrong with that. Top Fin makes my all-time favorite internal foam powerhead filters. I think they keep improving.

Is the Fluval Plant Nano your personal addition or integral to that tank?

Cheers

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 11-11-2019 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Details
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I really enjoyed the uniqueness and the style of this aquarium design. Everything included in the list is in addition to what comes in the box. There are some mildly bright viewing lights that are included in the hood but I removed those because I didn't believe they would grow plants.

Last edited by Damaba; 11-12-2019 at 12:02 PM. Reason: n/a
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I plan on starting the tank this weekend so please look forward to that. I'm going try and not over think this scape and just go for some of the plants I enjoy.
xjasminex likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 06:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Neat tank, one I haven’t seen before. I Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

75g ďSkull IslandĒ |
|
| Zoo Med Small Tall Vivarium
Fraternity of Dirt #168

Last edited by knm<><; 11-15-2019 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Typo
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I set up the sand and aqua soil this morning, messed up the capping so now I have a mix of sand and aqua soil Hopefully thats not a huge issue.
I'm really enjoying the Fluvial Light. I'm very sensitive to the light intensity when viewing the aquarium and displaying its general ambiance, this light really gives you full control of the color temperature and intensity.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So far I'm happy with my selection of plants. Not as exotic as I was hoping for but these were available and within my budget.

From left to right
Moneywort
Golden loydela
Golden nessea
Forgournd - Hydrocotyle Tripartita Japan
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

1 Week Update

I'm running CO2 with Max light for 5 hours a day, then 3 hours in the evening at 20% capacity for viewing. I've done 2 water changes of 25 % and every few days I've sprinkled in a pinch of fish food to help cycle.

I did treat my plants will alum for about 3 hours before adding them into the tank. Saturday I noticed a few bladersnails but I'm not to concerned with them at the moment.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

2nd Week

Starting to see some algae, specifically some hair and diatoms. Also I believe that I have removed all the small bladder snails. I haven't seen any in the tank for about 4 days now. I haven't been testing for my cycle but I've been feeding the tank with a fish food about every other day.

I'd like to get a clean up crew in there and I've heard that Amano shrimp are great. Would 1 Amano ship work well in this tank? Also any other suggestions for a clean up crew?

Any suggestions on what i could stock this tank with? A few guppies or 1 honey guroami?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 01:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaba View Post

Starting to see some algae, specifically some hair and diatoms. Also I believe that I have removed all the small bladder snails. I haven't seen any in the tank for about 4 days now. I haven't been testing for my cycle but I've been feeding the tank with a fish food about every other day.

I'd like to get a clean up crew in there and I've heard that Amano shrimp are great. Would 1 Amano ship work well in this tank? Also any other suggestions for a clean up crew?

Any suggestions on what i could stock this tank with? A few guppies or 1 honey guroami?
Endlers would do fine in a tank this size. 1 betta of course is always an option.

For a cleanup crew certainly amano's are a great option. 1 big amano or a few smaller ones depending on what is available at your local fish store. If you have shrimp friendly fish then you could go with a colony of cherry shrimp (or orange neos or yellow, or blue etc..) They are not great at cleanup in small numbers but as the colony grows they become better as a whole.

And snails are great at cleanup. I know you just got done removing snails from your tank but /shrug they are actually quite good at cleanup. Nerite snails won't reproduce but will leave little white eggs everywhere. Ramshorn snails will reproduce quite rapidly but look pretty spiffy, come in a variety of colors. Plus as your algae gets under control the babies will not live long.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode