1Likes
  • 1 Post By Damaba

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
5 Gallon Nano

Hello planted tank community,
Iíve always had an interest in aquariums since I was a kid, thereís something otherworldly about them that still memorizes me to this day. Iíve experimented with salt water and freshwater and sizes ranging from 30-17 gallons. About 10 years ago I discovered the wonderful Iwagumi style and It really opened my eyes to the possibilities of an aquarium. I attempted a traditional Iwagumi tank with a 17 gallon rimless and all the fancy trimming of glass Lilly tubes and such. I loved it! Although the initial set up can be expensive I did find that it was surprisingly easy to take care of, only about hour a week to maintain.

That was about 2 years ago and Iíve been tankless since. Due to the restrictions in my apartment building I am limited in size, so with those restrictions I decided to truly explore the possibilities of a nano tank. For this tank Iíve set a few ground rules for myself.

1. Keep it as low of a budget as possible with still incorporating the things I find important. ( Light control, general ascetics, minimal equipment showing)
2. Tank must bee under 5 gallons
3. Tank needs to be easily maintained
4. Enjoy!

Equipment
6.6 Top Finģ Engageô 5 Gallon Aquarium (Petsmart)- 40$
Aquaclear Biomax 50 galon biomedia 5$
Rhinox Nano CO2 Diffuser 6$
CO2-Proof Tubing 10$
Mr. Aqua N-MAR-066 1 L Fine Pet Habitat Water Plant Soil 16$
Aquarium Heater 22$
Fluval Hagen Biological Enhancer for Aquarium 5$
Sand 10$
Rocks 10$
Armour Etch 2.8 Oz Etch Cream 10$
Windbells Aquarium Thermometer 6 $
Hagen Fluval Plant Bluetooth Nano LED Aquarium Light 85$
Total= 225$

Tools I already had
Co2 Paint 1 liter canister with regulator
Tweeters for planting
Scissors for timing
Power strip
Nano Syphon for cleaning
2 gallon bucket

The Tank
I selected this tank because of its affordability and the fact this it was quite eye catching. It already had a unique design with is semi rimless appearance and itís white background where the filtration and heating elite could hide. I knew that I would need to modify the plastic lid to instal my own light and did so with a dremal tool and some sand paper. For an added touch of finesse I etched the top 3/4 inch of glass to create a fogged effect to hid the harshness of the light entering the tank and to hid the fluctuations in the surface water level.

One design change is the interior of the tank. it does have a more narrow weigh since about 1 1/2Ē is take up by the back filtration wall. this should be interesting to scape

SECollector likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode