• 3 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By minorhero
  • 1 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
5 gallons and under

And ideas for a super small nano tank? I have been fascinated with the idea of a tiny tank that is heavily planted. I am fairly new to planted tanks but am not new to keeping fish. Is it possible to keep a planted tank that small?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 03:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You have come to the right forum. Check the tank journals and member signatures.

Cheers

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 11:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I have a 2.5g tank that I keep shrimps in, growing hairgrass in it, maybe I will add pearlweed in the future.

20 Gallon jungle tank
2.8 Gallon Fluval Spec
2.5 Gallon DHG shrimp tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld

RAOK CLUB #0

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Some 5 gallons I have:

I also had this vase, but just recently sprung a leak. It was just over 5 gallons:

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 12:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post

I also had this vase, but just recently sprung a leak. It was just over 5 gallons:
GAH sorry to hear about your Vase! What happened?

To the OP: Yep, its very easy to go with a 5 gallon tank. There are some nice all in one tank options available if you want to go with something super easy. The Fluval Spec V is pretty popular option, I myself have one. Its also reasonably economical to plant a small tank. The biggest restriction with a small tank is stocking. A lot of fish won't do well in such a small space, but if you have 5 gallons there are some good options still available. If going smaller you will probably want to keep yourself restricted to shrimp and snails.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
GAH sorry to hear about your Vase! What happened?

To the OP: Yep, its very easy to go with a 5 gallon tank. There are some nice all in one tank options available if you want to go with something super easy. The Fluval Spec V is pretty popular option, I myself have one. Its also reasonably economical to plant a small tank. The biggest restriction with a small tank is stocking. A lot of fish won't do well in such a small space, but if you have 5 gallons there are some good options still available. If going smaller you will probably want to keep yourself restricted to shrimp and snails.
It started leaking and when went to take sand out it separated at base from top glass. It was very weird. But, I think it was my fault. I added to much rock and sand to it--- too much weight to base.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
It started leaking and when went to take sand out it separated at base from top glass. It was very weird. But, I think it was my fault. I added to much rock and sand to it--- too much weight to base.
GAH! Its not your fault, a break like that must have been a structural design flaw. If it separated pretty cleanly its likely a sign that the bottom and the top were constructed from different pieces. No way you could know that was going to happen.
Discusluv likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
GAH! Its not your fault, a break like that must have been a structural design flaw. If it separated pretty cleanly its likely a sign that the bottom and the top were constructed from different pieces. No way you could know that was going to happen.
Thanks, that is reassuring.

I think Im feeling a little guilty about it because my husband was so mad to wake up to 5 gallons of water on the floor.

You know the "what were you thinking" using a vase as an aquarium! But, many do it successfully and I just felt like I did it wrong or something.
minorhero likes this.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 05:28 PM
Algae Grower

Yes - small tanks can work very well, and can actually be a great entry to planted tanks. You can really experiment with aquascaping and growing plants without spending too much. I recommend using aquasoil to improve your chance at success. You can grow a lot of plants with aquasoil and a desk lamp.

As you can see in the examples above, small tanks lend themselves to experimenting with emergent growth.

Everything flows.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
If it's two pieces, could you silicone them back together?

That's a beautiful setup with a perfect size & shape--would be shame to have to break it down.....
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
If it's two pieces, could you silicone them back together?

That's a beautiful setup with a perfect size & shape--would be shame to have to break it down.....
The husband will silicone back together and Ill use it for flowers and such. He said no more vases as aquariums though...

Some things I just have to concede to.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am also interested in having a 5 gallon carpeted tank, any suggestions? Currently I have a 2.5g with a betta, nerite snail and Anubias.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1572905499606.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	888975  

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I love the smaller tanks and have 2 Spec V's and a 5.5g. Lots of options for both plants and nano fish, and of course shrimp.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
My 5 gallonish tanks have been some of my favorite. Almost all were low tech but you would never know because I had tons of amazing red plants, found plants that carpeted well, etc. One thing on my side, I had a ton of plant options as these tanks got all my clippings from larger tanks, and also plants I simply did not like from those bigger tanks. That was a big part of my enjoyment, basically I could have a tank that looked grown out in a few hours. I plan on setting up a a 5 gallon shrimp tank.

If you keep it simple with a HOB filter, they can be really cheap as they don't need really expensive equipment. It is really easy to have medium to high light as most are not particularly tall. Unfortunately I cannot find pictures, and I am not paying these hosting sites with their aggressive tactics to get things I hosted back, but it is a great tank size. The only downside is your are limited in your stocking selection. That isn't to say it's hard to find fish that work, you just can't stock anything you want.

Bump: My 5 gallonish tanks have been some of my favorite. Almost all were low tech but you would never know because I had tons of amazing red plants, found plants that carpeted well, etc. One thing on my side, I had a ton of plant options as these tanks got all my clippings from larger tanks, and also plants I simply did not like from those bigger tanks. That was a big part of my enjoyment, basically I could have a tank that looked grown out in a few hours. I plan on setting up a a 5 gallon shrimp tank.

If you keep it simple with a HOB filter, they can be really cheap as they don't need really expensive equipment. It is really easy to have medium to high light as most are not particularly tall. Unfortunately I cannot find pictures, and I am not paying these hosting sites with their aggressive tactics to get things I hosted back, but it is a great tank size. The only downside is your are limited in your stocking selection. That isn't to say it's hard to find fish that work, you just can't stock anything you want.

-Matt

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have a 1.5 gallon jar with plants, snails and a few amano shrimp. Very low tech- the only equipment is an airstone for some circulation. It's fun to do something so small.

|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode