low light.. what to do - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
low light.. what to do

ok. I love the dimensions of this deep blue 5 way betta, but will use it for a single betta. Size: 18" x 6" x 7" 2.3 Gallon. since the depth isnt the highest I suppose a LED sitting on top will be to much light. could I use a desk lamp? also beside the usual plants. (anubia, java fern, whisteria etc) what is some good plans. will Hydrocotyle tripartita for a good low light carpet or will it take over to quick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 02:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

Just get light that you can install a dimmer in between power supply and light, dim it to whatever you need. About $7-9 on amazon.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

idk you could actually dim the LED lights. nice

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 03:08 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hydrocotyle is really the only carpeting plant I have and with my low light tanks. In my tanks it has a tendency to stretch upward, which when it goes to far I grab a portion with tweezers and stick it in the substrate to keep it lower. It does grow reasonably quick but that is relative, i would think it would be manageable if you made sure it didn't invade anything every once in a while. Though I just moved some to the base area of my Vals to see how that combo works out, see if they take over the horizontal lower space around the vals while the vals take up the vertical space, i think it will work out if i keep pushing the hydrocotyle down low.

Bump: Concerning light, you can get a desk style lamp and place a dimmable daylight spectrum bulb in it with a dimmer in line somehow as mentioned above. On my 3 low tech tanks i use the walmart brand daylight LED bulbs and everything grows fine .

Cordially,

Newbie Tankard
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thank you. I think I will add some moss and the hydrocytle. Were is a good place online to get plants.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 06:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Anywhere you can find the plants you want for the price you are willing is fine. However I'd first recommend this site, if you know a few varieties you want or even just want to try, go post in the WTB forum. I've received many great deals on here far cheaper than anything you could get elsewhere, granted some can come with snails which I didn't like at first but now I like them, and with patience they are manageable anyway.
I've recieved all my plants from this community and the quantity, price, variety, knowledge, and availability is all vast. Heck, the last order of plants I got was conpletely free, the sender even paid to ship it, that is rare but actually possible in this community.

Cordially,

Newbie Tankard
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have successfully with low light had multiple things carpet is your ferts are correct. I really like using Coral Moss and Fissiden fontanus. They are lower growing- so it allows more swimming space. I have a 2.5gallon fluval that I just shortened the lighting period to ensure it was 'low light' (relative term however).

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
7 Tanks and counting..... plus all these critters to feed critters
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 01:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just a note on that tank (I have three of them): You can use one of those dividers to create a little sump if you want. I did it on two of mine, but mostly because that piece of glass was the only way I could mount the Fluval Plant Nano lights. I put foam in there, and my filter and heater. My shrimp can get around the glass and they love to nibble on what gets caught in the foam.

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh thank you and wow yes I was thinking of rigging in One of those for lights or a media chamber or something. Do you mind to post pictures
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

4G Pico Tanks

Utility Tanks

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll try to take better photos of the main pair after work.

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
4G Pico Tanks

Utility Tanks

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll try to take better photos of the main pair after work.
thanks. can wait to read the posts. thank you

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode