To much light? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
To much light?

So... I have a 3.7 gal planted betta tank. Java fern, ozelot sword, amazon sword, anubias, hornwart, some type of narrow mini sword (has a grass look to it almost), red root floater and will be removing some java to replace with buce as well as adding some rotala red. The stock light that came with the tank was adequate but I didnt like the look as well as thought it wouldnt put the depth of light into the tank after adding the floaters. I repaced the light with an aquen clip on planted tank light. It came with a par meter and i know im pushing the bounds of being able to control the algea if the plants cant take up the nutrients. I do a nerite as well as 5 or so ramshorns that came with the floaters. I left the ramshorn thinking theyll get enough food from the possible algea but have wafers in case or will just remove them if need be. The lights been on for about a week and i have little visible algea growth but nothing crazy. Has any body had experience with this light on a smaller tank with many issues? I have fluval stratum, also 2 root tabs in the substrate. The red root floaters have flowered and are turning more red by the day and growing like crazy in the last week. Tank has a built in sump which I have modified to fit fluval prefilter ceramic rings, a sponge and then fluval biomax. Water changes weekly to every other week since it was set up the fist week of august. Never had an algea bloom that I couldn't control through minor cleaning, yet 😬. Light is on 10.5 hrs a day. Questions, comments, suggestions, concerns? I haven't had a fish tank in 10 years or so but did my due diligence prior as to not be in over my head, hopefully 😆.

HYPHYPIKEY

Last edited by HYPHYPIKEY; 10-16-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Watch things carefully and adjust as needed. Does the light have a dimmer? Do you have a timer? 10.5 is typically a much longer time scale. Most are running 6-8 hours but there is variance. Usually folks run a morning period and an afternoon period with a break of a few hours inbetween when the light is off. The theory being that 1) whatever minimal co2 level your tank naturally generates/takes in from the surface will build back up during the period the light is off, and 2) Algae is not as good at adjusting to dramatic changes in the light level as plants, thus plants will thrive while algae dies/doesn't grow.

So what does that mean for you? Watch your plants very carefully, if you see algae growing on them then you are out of balance. Likely, too much light.

Also regarding fertilizers. Your substrate has fertilizer in it, as does your root tabs. However, the substrate will get used up in the medium to long term and the root tabs are not a great choice as your only fertilizer solution since you can't see when they get used up. Consider using a liquid fertilizer to replenish your substrate and provide nutrients for plants. ThriveC is a good option for a low tech no pressurized co2 tank. It comes in a pump bottle and will work great in your aquarium.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ya the light is on a timer but no way to dim. Ive thought about shortening the time but the south facing windows of the room its in (the tank is not within direct sun light ever) is just bright and the plants will photosynthesis most likely anyway. Turning it down may help but it might help if it gets bad.

I currently have stopped liquid dosing with seachem flourish because of the substrate and root tabs combo and thought it may be too much. I know the water collumn is not the same as the subrate but it is a small tank which may help with the absorption within the water column?

Ammonia is at 0ppm.
Nitrites at 0ppm.
Nitrates at between 3 and 5 ppms.
Ph of 6.8.

HYPHYPIKEY

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 03:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

Id say your on target, just dont let floaters get to overgrown and block out all the light. Their easy to thin out though.

Id still take .25ml of flourish, add to 1/2 gal or so of ro or distilled water and then use that to top off for evaporation throughout week just to be sure you dont get any deficiency. Those floaters can suck up some nutrients pretty quick.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok. So add some flourish still. I'll dose every week or so with evap/water changes. I plan on adding a root tab every 6 months or for the others. Thanks for the suggestions! I also lowered the timer to 9hrs so at least its not getting full light all day... I'll keep updated for those interested!

I also have be a DIY "feeding ring" in the center which helps with lighting but doesn't moveb around the surface as much as it used to lol

HYPHYPIKEY
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Don't know why the pictures are all 1 rotation to the left but her is an update. I took out the hornwort and added moneywort (came free with rotala red). Took out the Amazon sword and added rotala red. Filled in substrate with pearl weed as carpet and attatched some bucephalandra red to the driftwood. I will be getting a Co2 system but for a month or so to see how things go.

HYPHYPIKEY

Last edited by HYPHYPIKEY; 10-19-2019 at 07:40 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 01:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Since you have a PAR meter, and assuming it works correctly, what are the readings at the substrate? That would tell us if you have too much light and help us advise you on how to deal with it. If you can post an image of the readout, that would be even better.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Maybe should've been more clear lol but I do not have a par meter. The light did come with a graph for the par of the light at 12" avg output from center of light in a 16"x16" area. Ill try to post a pic but have been having issues the last day or so.
My peak par for that light according to the graph is 63 with an avg of 35.
The surface of my tank is only about 5.5"-6" from the light. So my red root floaters are but they seem very happy.
My tank is only 9.5"x9.5"x9.5" (give or take a 1/4" or so)
The peak lux says 3722 and avg of 2188 for the above mentioned specs.
They have their CCT at 18,400k! I dont know if I believe that. The white is bright and it could be a combo of the other bulbs and spectrums to reach that number but that just seems off to me...

HYPHYPIKEY
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Profile and above/previous pictures are of the tank in question. PAR graph provided by aqueon and i have the "planted" tank light for reference to the graph.

HYPHYPIKEY

Last edited by HYPHYPIKEY; 10-19-2019 at 07:40 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode