New Fluval Flora 14.5 Gallon Kit - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By somewhatshocked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Fluval Flora 14.5 Gallon Kit

I didn't even know one existed, but Fluval released a replacement of their older Fluval Flora kit, but this time it's 14.5 Gallons - almost double the capacity.

I can't determine if the new version's left and front front edges is curved moulded glass - anyone can confirm??

I haven't heard much about this, but I believe it's out as it's on sale at some places.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 02:02 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (494/100%)
They're not curved - it's just a tall-ish, siliconed tank. It's high quality compared to the old Ebi/Flora. Thicker glass. Much more sturdy and attractive.

It's been out since 2017 but just hasn't been too popular. Fluval doesn't seem like it's put much effort into marketing. A mistake on their part, if you ask me.

I think it's a nice deal if you can get your hands on one - especially in Canada. Nice tank, nice AquaClear filter, nice LED fixture. Substrate is decent but the CO2 system should immediately be sold on fleabay or traded for whatever you can get out of it.

In US prices: the tank is easily worth $100, LED $85-$90, substrate $15ish, Filter $30. The $200ish price tag I usually see accompanying the kit is worth it. I guess that's, what, $800 Canadian? Maybe $850? (Sorry, couldn't resist a bad joke)
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks! That's too bad that the class is not curved...bummer, but it does look nice. Is it my imagination or is the back of the tank frosted? Hard to tell from pictures.

It came out in 2017?!?!?!? We are just getting them in Canada! Priced at $349. Not quite $800 but almost half.

I could get it for just under $300....but still seems a lot to pay. I wouldn't use the CO2...or maybe I will until it runs out as I have my Paintball tank setup. I kinda like these integrated Fluval kits in general.

Do you have one by the way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
They're not curved - it's just a tall-ish, siliconed tank. It's high quality compared to the old Ebi/Flora. Thicker glass. Much more sturdy and attractive.

It's been out since 2017 but just hasn't been too popular. Fluval doesn't seem like it's put much effort into marketing. A mistake on their part, if you ask me.

I think it's a nice deal if you can get your hands on one - especially in Canada. Nice tank, nice AquaClear filter, nice LED fixture. Substrate is decent but the CO2 system should immediately be sold on fleabay or traded for whatever you can get out of it.

In US prices: the tank is easily worth $100, LED $85-$90, substrate $15ish, Filter $30. The $200ish price tag I usually see accompanying the kit is worth it. I guess that's, what, $800 Canadian? Maybe $850? (Sorry, couldn't resist a bad joke)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 09:12 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (494/100%)
I don't think it's a bummer at all. All of these mid-range tanks with curved corners cause lots of distortion and tend to be thinner - even the Dennerle tanks. The old Ebi/Flora was... meh. The fact that it's siliconed means you don't have to deal with distortion and it looks better overall. Thicker glass and better silicone makes it more sturdy.

No, don't have one. I did have the original Ebi, though. Kept it for less than a year. If I needed to get a new setup and didn't already have all the components, it's definitely a tank kit I'd consider.

Yes, was released in late 2017. It's possible it was merely announced then, as I didn't personally see it hit stores until sometime in 2018. It's more popular in the Canadian market. I think there are a couple retailers that have it for less than the $300 you mention. So shop around if you're interested in one. Though... CA$300 is a good price. That's roughly US$225. Would probably be more expensive to put the entire kit together on your own.

You could sell the CO2 kit on fleabay - and maybe sell the Fluval Stratum if you don't have plans for it - and use what you make to buy better substrate, livestock or plants.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode