2Likes
  • 2 Post By somewhatshocked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tiny worms - Newbie new tank advice

Hey guys.

So I'm a total newbie and watch too many hours of beautiful freshwater aquascapes and decided to try a no filter freshwater tank as my first (aggressive I know). It's supposed to be a 5 gallon tank but it really holds 4 tops. I put about an inch of composted soil with rocks on top. Initially, I think I put too many rocks because the plants didn't seem to be doing well. Also, the cloudy water initially didn't really go away until I did a big water change. I went away on a trip and one of my plants completely died and made my water smelly and foul and an algae problem. I had a zebra snail that is a total champ because it survived all of it. I had an amano survive 24 hours and a baby ghost shrimp for less. After further research, I found that I really should have waited. The light was on for 13 hours.

So I replaced almost all the water, trimmed the plants removed a lot of the rocks and vacuumed. I restarted the tank, lifted by cfl light higher from the surface of the water and changed the time to 12 hours, the cloudy water cleared within a day, and after two weeks, all looks good. So I bought 4 whisker shrimp, thinking that if the zebra snail has enough to eat... One got sick after 24 hours but the other 3 seem to be doing well after over 48 hours in the tank.

Yesterday I bought some driftwood, washed it thoroughly, and put it in my tank thinking it would sink faster but almost 48 hours later it hasn't sunk all the way yet. However, after the first night in the tank, the next day, I found a cloudy formation coming from the driftwood, which after research I determined it was just a normal bacterial boom and I should be fine. But looking closer, inside the cloudy wisps were these tiny white creatures, too small to see any identifiers. Now, 14 hours after I noticed them, they are all over my tank just floating gently. They are still so small that if you don't look carefully, you wont see them or you'll think it's just a normal speck in the water (the water is extremely still except for the bubbles coming from my substrate and the pearling on my moss balls and my water onion bulb, and the occasional shrimp swimming by). The white flecks have grown enough that I see that they are worms. They're still too small for any identifiers except that they are white and they are long and move like worms. They don't seem interested in my substrate, they are just floating along in the water.

I had my water tested at the pet store after I noticed the worms and everything looks good except my nitrates. They are getting high. I should have asked for percents but I didn't think to since I was thinking about what to do about the nitrates. On one hand, it could just be a spike from the driftwood or just part of the cycling process, but it's too high for a fish to eat them and the shrimp don't really seem interested. After the fiasco with the plant, I regularly check anything that looks unhealthy for a reason to trim it off like softness. I bought a bacteria bottle that said it'd help with nitrates and ammonium build up and put it in my tank.

What do you guys think I should do?
The two photos of the whole tank are taken one day apart. If you look closely at the fuzzy part of the driftwood, you will see the white flecks. The worms that are now all over my water are still too small to get in a photo but I'll post if I can get a pic of one.

Also, I know it's an aggressive tank style for a total newbie but how am I doing?

(other fun things. The same day that I noticed the worms, I found a tiny baby snail. Although, I don't think it came from the driftwood. About 5 days prior, I got my rotala in the mail and planted them, so I'm guessing that. It's still too small for me to know what it is, but I thought it was fun to find my first hitchhiker. I am aware that some snails are pests and prolific breeders but I'm going to wait until I know what it is before I decide what I want to do. So far it looks like I only have one unintended snail. The others are my super zebra, a baby zebra that I bought and a tiger snail.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190928_155100.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	337.9 KB
ID:	887583  

Name:	20190929_130149.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	887585  

Name:	Screenshot_20190929-220248_Video Player.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	887587  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 07:45 PM
Planted Member

I think I had the same problem...by coincidence you did too!

In my case it's a new tank - fresh gravel, and nothing live was added other than the bio aid supplement that I added to start the cycle.

These look like transparent see through worms yes?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua07 View Post
These look like transparent see through worms yes?
They are tiny and white. The average length is 1mm, the longest one I found is 3mm.
I think there are two different creatures. Some of them are long and move around like worms. Some of them are just tiny white dots that move in jagged straight lines.

They don't seem interested in the substrate.

After a few days, I'm far less worried about it.

Once my nitrates drop, I'm getting a small fish which will probably eat them all.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 08:23 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (494/100%)
They're detritus worms and are extremely common in new setups. They'll likely disappear before your tank is ready for inhabitants. And if the don't? You're right that your fish will eat them.
varanidguy and philyoosays like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode