3Likes
  • 2 Post By DaveKS
  • 1 Post By Cottagewitch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Looking for a new nano

I currently have a 3 gallon JBJ Picotope. The light has died yet again and Iím tired of buying new fixtures. My tank houses a beta, a couple of ghost shrimp and some Anubias Nana petite. Iím looking for suggestions for a different aquarium kit of 3-5 gallons. I REALLY want something with a lid to keep the cats from drinking the water.

Thanks,
Jenna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 01:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval spec kits have partial lids.

Blue Ridge Reef and Econde like this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 02:08 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Agree! And Fluval Edge has even less exposed water.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:08 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I agree, Fluval is the best. If you don’t want to change the whole tank they sell Fluval Smart nano lights (up to 10 gallons I think.) I paid $80 for mine, but it’s awesome. There’s an app attached to it, so you can control it from your phone; there’s sunrise & sunset controls, and my god did it make my tank bloom like none other. I’d HIGHLY recommend.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Ok... I bought a 5 gallon Fluval Spec. Itíll be here tomorrow. One question....does it qualify as low, medium or high light?
Econde likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:15 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (494/100%)
Low-medium if you've got a lot of plants to block some of the light. Probably medium if you don't. That's just a guess, though. I feel like I'd have medium light in my Spec V if I didn't have some driftwood blocking a portion of the light. Note: If you find you have too much light, it's cheap & effective to use a layer or two of fiberglass window screen material placed on top of the tank. Could secure it to the lid with a few pieces of tape if you wanted and it'll still look nice.

You'll want to make a couple simple modifications to the tank to make it more shrimp-safe (and safer for your Betta) - cover the filter intake near the bottom of the tank, maybe the hole between the filter chamber and the pump chamber and use something to prevent small fish and shrimp from getting through the intake baffle/grate. Took me less than five minutes total to make the alterations. They're not permanent so you can easily remove everything if you go in a different direction with the tank in the future.

Feel free to look through the Spec journal in my signature for photos of how to make those simple modifications. I chose to use silicone to seal the two holes shut but you could just use black electrical tape if you want. For the intake, you can put a piece of sponge on the filter chamber side so it prevents small critters from getting in. Or you can use mesh - stainless steel, fiberglass window screen, No-See-Ums mesh - it's really up to you.

You may also find yourself having to dampen the filter outflow if it's too strong for your Betta. A lot of people just stick a piece of black sponge (so it blends in with the background) over the outlet and it's fine. Pump is also adjustable.

Something else: Go to the Tank Journal section and search for journals of people with Spec Vs. I found just looking at photos of setups other people have put together to be a big help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode