spare 10 gallon tank. - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
spare 10 gallon tank.

Well, the tank I have my 10 neon tetras in will soon be empty because they either all die from fin rot or they are moved to the 75-gallon tank. After that I was thinking of a shrimp tank but now I am thinking of creating a paludarium. It is a small tank, just a standard 10 leader that measures 20x10x12. Not sure if this is to small for a paludarium. IDK what would inhabit the land part. Probably just plants. Actually, I could have a really cool setup with Anubias and Bucephalandras and Cryptocorenes both on land and in water. Perhaps a parlor palm on the land... Oooh, I could do the parlor palm and just keep a lid on the tank and make it super steamy, like a little jungle stream or something.

(sorry I am just thinking out loud here.)

75 gallon low tech low light no supplemental co2 planted community freshwater tropical tank(Quite the mouthfull!!) Cycling now.
10 gallon species tank with 11 neon tetras

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

See my 75 gallon tank journal!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 06:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quarantine/hospital tank. It’s extremely important to have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turningdizzy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 02:41 PM
Planted Member

On the quarantine topic, what do you do for substrate and/or plants, if at all? Or do you just run a filter on an empty tank?

|
|
|
|

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 03:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
On the quarantine topic, what do you do for substrate and/or plants, if at all? Or do you just run a filter on an empty tank?

Personal preference. Mine has some decor to keep the fish comfortable (hiding) and some extra sand I had left over. But most seem to just run it bare bottom with a filter and maybe something for the fish to hide in or behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

|
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a QT tank already with a sponge filter and stuff thanks though. This heater would go to the QT and I would buy an aqueon pro for this one.

75 gallon low tech low light no supplemental co2 planted community freshwater tropical tank(Quite the mouthfull!!) Cycling now.

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” – Bruce Lee

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
I have a QT tank already with a sponge filter and stuff thanks though. This heater would go to the QT and I would buy an aqueon pro for this one.
Bloody Mary shrimp!

All Low-tech:
180 g. w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild red spotted green discus
30 g. Shrimp Bloody Mary Shrimp and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
Fluvel Flex 9 gallon- Bloody Mary Shrimp and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
Fluvel Spec 3- Golden Bee shrimp
30 g. Quarantine/Hospital

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That is what I am thinking.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:27 AM
Algae Grower

i agree with the others turn it into a QT. I run mine bare with no substrate or decor (to begin with) so I can monitor the fish more easily and spot any issues. Then eventually I either toss in some plastic plants that I don't have to worry about treating with medicines or some clippings of my fast growing plants that I just float to help with water quality. 10 gallons is a great size for QT in my experience. Currently QTing some scarlet temple in there. You can treat a lot of fish at once if need be and even in an emergency with small of enough fish you could use it to temporarily hold fish from your larger tank.

Bump: i agree with the others turn it into a QT. I run mine bare with no substrate or decor (to begin with) so I can monitor the fish more easily and spot any issues. Then eventually I either toss in some plastic plants that I don't have to worry about treating with medicines or some clippings of my fast growing plants that I just float to help with water quality. 10 gallons is a great size for QT in my experience. Currently QTing some scarlet temple in there. You can treat a lot of fish at once if need be and even in an emergency with small of enough fish you could use it to temporarily hold fish from your larger tank.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Thank goodness you already have a quarantine tank @aquanerd13

All Low-tech:
180 g. w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild red spotted green discus
30 g. Shrimp Bloody Mary Shrimp and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
Fluvel Flex 9 gallon- Bloody Mary Shrimp and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
Fluvel Spec 3- Golden Bee shrimp
30 g. Quarantine/Hospital

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 01:29 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
Bloody Mary or any variety of Neocaridina you like would be a fine place to start. And 10 gallons gives you plenty of room to come up with a small aquascape and allows you to explore much tinier work than you see in your 75.

Definitely large enough to create a paludarium. Or even just a riparium. Lots of cool marginal plants you could use in hanging planters while still maintaining a decent water volume for your shrimp.

Tank would be relatively cheap to set up, as well.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, I set it up within the last few weeks. After the neons are gone I will put the plastic plants from their 10-gallon tank into the QT. So I already have a QT tank. Now for the future of the 10 after it is empty. I am leaning more towards a shrimp tank than a shrimp paludarium. I am planning on Wabi Kusi instead of a paludarium so I could turn the 10 into a shrimp tank.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Bloody Mary or any variety of Neocaridina you like would be a fine place to start. And 10 gallons gives you plenty of room to come up with a small aquascape and allows you to explore much tinier work than you see in your 75.

Definitely large enough to create a paludarium. Or even just a riparium. Lots of cool marginal plants you could use in hanging planters while still maintaining a decent water volume for your shrimp.

Tank would be relatively cheap to set up, as well.
Thank you I will keep that in mind.

Bump: Actually definitely a riparium. That is probably what I will do.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am also planning on doing the Walstad method to make as self-sufficient a tank as possible. If it works well, all future tanks will be the Walstad method.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 01:03 PM
Planted Member

I think a parlor palm would be too big to be fully enclosed in a 10, but as a riparium it could definitely work; I had one on my shrimp tank in the same manner until the dreaded construction incident.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh no a parlor palm would never work in an enclosed 10. Thanks though.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well I am leaning towards a Walstad tank. It may be interesting as I want this tank to look super good too. I am thinking of something like this: tall rocks in the back with java moss, chain swords in the front, maybe a regular amazon on the side? Not sure yet.

Tags
10 gallons., planted tank, walstad method

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode