• 1 Post By GardenoftheGeeks
  • 1 Post By nothreat33

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My First Aquascape: Check it out :)

Hey all,

I just wanted make an update on my tank. I've finally planted, filled and stocked my 10 gallon Waterbox Cube tank. I'm not using CO2 or any additives apart from Seachem Iron for the Red Ludwigia.

Plants:
Ambulia (Limnophila sessiliflora)
Red Ludwigia
Lilly Grass (Lilaeopsis)
Monte Carlo carpet
Mini Pellia (on the bonsai)

Stock:
4 Crystal Red Shrimp
4 Galaxy Rhasboras (or also known as Celestial Pearl Danios)

So far its been good. I added the CRS last week and am looking to add 3 Amano Shrimp whenever I can get a hold on them in my area (seems to be difficult to find in Australia). I'm having some string/hair algae problems on the Mini Pellia on my Bonsai which is annoying; pulling them out when I can, but often I cant do so without the Pellia coming off with it, so I'm hoping that the Amanos whenever I get them will help on that front.
I wanted atleast 5 Galaxies but the store only had 4, so will get more when I can.
My end goal was to add a Betta at some point, but I'm waiting to see how everything goes for a few weeks at least before I do. I was worried that until the Pellia grows out alot more, all the branches and sticks on the Bonsai might be abit harmful to a Betta.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how it looks so far, especially with how the MC Carpet turned out after the dry start. Hopefully it grows a little more thicker. I have also noticed too that I have a Hydra problem but I've ordered some Benibachi's No Planaria to combat that.

Enjoy the pics and feel free to let me know what you guys think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3733.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	609.9 KB
ID:	886339  

Name:	IMG_3764.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	616.6 KB
ID:	886341  

Name:	IMG_3755.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	886343  

Name:	IMG_3766.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	453.2 KB
ID:	886345  

Name:	IMG_3774.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	550.7 KB
ID:	886347  

Name:	IMG_3782 (3).jpg
Views:	97
Size:	352.1 KB
ID:	886353  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 09:05 AM
Algae Grower

Beautiful
1 more month will express it's beauty.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 Pro using Tapatalk
WaldoDude likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you Dipankar!

Also I just noticed, I think one of my CRS is berried! Im surprised considering I only got them exactly a week ago. Now I'm hoping that some of the fry survive and don't get eaten by the by the Galaxies.
Attached Images

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 12:04 PM
Algae Grower

Hey waldodude - Great tank.

Iím happy to be wrong but not sure youíll find amano shrimp in Oz. I walked into the LFS after reading this site and they laughed at me. If you find some let me know.

Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WaldoDude likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 12:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Issue with Australia, and I'm sure we all know this by now. If it isn't already in Australia, it will never be, just the importation laws keeping it how it is.

Great work on the tank mate, should look great as it grows in!!!
WaldoDude likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Zmartin and Jamo!

And yes that is what I've read about Amanos in Australia. But when I went to my LFS they told me that they had managed to get some in a few weeks ago. They'll let me know if they can get some more when they're available. So fingers crossed, will let you guys know if I ever do get some
zmartin likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:36 PM
Algae Grower

Very nice work! Beautiful! Hope it goes well and you enjoy it all the way

Just a heads up, my Betta is very territorial, he has killed 3 amanos, so now the last one (and probably the fastest and most careful) remains. I don't know if this happens with female bettas as well, but you might want to rethink adding amanos or RCS in the same tank with a betta.
WaldoDude likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 11:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Re shrimp: are you able to get ghost shrimp there? (often sold in LFS as "freshwater feeder shrimp") . Here they're quite cheap (50Ę/each) So if you're looking for a cleaner shrimp they do a good job, and if your betta decides to snack on it it's not a huge loss--certainly compared to scarce Amano shrimp.

Ghost shrimp will also breed in the aquarium--if you want a constant supply either as cleaners or as betta snacks.
WaldoDude likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ah Right Zahtar, I do have another tank that I figured I could use if I do get the Betta and it turns out too aggressive.

Thanks for the tip, I did see some Ghost shrimp in my LFS so might have a look into them!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

1 CPD jumped

So a little sad news, one of my CPDs jumped out of my tank and annoyingly it happened right behind me (the tank is placed behind me on a dresser) whilst i was on the computer. I had headphones in and I didn't notice it. I only saw it later when I turned around to have a look and saw the fish on the ground and it was a bit too late.

I'm not sure why it jumped but I did notice that today I was seeing 2 (which presume to be the males) of them chasing 1 (I think to be a female) around the tank. The males were kind-of shaking in front of the female when they could and chasing each other away. The one that jumped was the biggest male, so I think it may have just got spooked by the other and jumped during one of these chases.

I do have a tank lid on order, since the WaterBox doesn't come with a lid, but will take at-least a month to arrive. So I'm gonna go get some mesh or something I can put over the tank temporarily to stop any more jumpers.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update

Heyo,

So I havent managed to get any Amano Shrimp but my LFS suggested i try the Darwin Algae Eater shrimp. Apparently they are Australia's alternative to the Amano and have just as good an appetite for algae including hair algae. So I managed to get 7 for the price of 3 as my LFS accidentally caught 7 in the bag when I asked for 3 and couldnt be bothered fishing them out They were only $3 AUD so alot cheaper than an amano I think. Regardless I can confirm they are great algae eaters, since adding them (about 3-4 weeks ago) the hair algae has disappeared from my tank!

Also, I did get 1 Darwin Red Nose Shrimp (i.e. Pinocchio shrimp) too, it was the only one in the lfs and apparently also good algae eaters, however it did not survive in my tank for more than 3 or 4 days unfortunately. I read after that they were technically a brackish water only shrimp.

So my tank is now for the most part algae free. I am also thinking of getting a Peacock Gudgeon (probably a pair) instead of a betta now.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 06:37 AM
Algae Grower

Very Cool ... Love the tree!
WaldoDude likes this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 01:55 PM
Algae Grower

Fantastic! Very well done! I'm amazed at that some people can do this their first time. I have difficulty in that creative regard, starting from a "blank slate" or empty tank in this case leaves me stumped at the limitless possibilities.
WaldoDude likes this.

Tags
10 gallon, aquascape, bonsai, crystal red shrimp, galaxy rhasbora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode