No-filter, no-heater nano's?? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By somewhatshocked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
No-filter, no-heater nano's??

I'm thinking of setting up a small (2+gal) planted vase for the bedroom. My husband is a super light sleeper, and I worry any kind of filter will keep him up (hob, sponge, whatever). I've seen a ton of videos by MD Tanks and Floo the Flowerhorn, and they do no-filter, no-heater nano tanks that are beautiful and exactly what I'd like to accomplish.

But I don't quite understand the science behind it. In the setup videos they don't explain how it works, how the water maintains quality, how it affects the nitrogen cycle/good bacteria, etc.

Is it just a matter of over-planting, lots of floating plants, understocking, and frequent water changes?

For plants I like the low light plants like crypts, vals, java ferns, etc. For fauna I was thinking some cherry shrimp and maybe a few guppy fry from my main tank (if/when my guppies ever have fry!). Nothing too demanding or with a high bioload.

Any advice or explanations on how this works? Tips for setting up?

And if you care to share your no-filter, no-heater nano I'd love to see it!

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:36 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (489/100%)
Plant heavily. They'll eat up all the waste.

Stock extremely lightly - shrimp or fry as you thought.

Do water changes once a week.

Use a nutrient-rich substrate or root tabs and all the plants you mentioned will work well.

Check out some of the jar/vase/bowl journals here on the forum and you'll instantly "get" it.
Thelongsnail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 01:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
So Foo the Flowerhorn mentions that his tank is a Walstad setup. MD Fishtanks to my knowledge has never said that his tank is a Walstad tank, but it basically is a Walstad tank. The only difference is that MD Fishtanks does not use dirt as part of his substrate, instead he uses aquasoil type substrates (commercial active substrate).

Basically its a tank with an active substrate (an inert cap is required for dirt, but is not required for aquasoils) then you plant incredibly heavily right from the start. Light bioload and lots of water changes for the first month. Thereafter water change much less often if your tank is doing well. Once a month or less is possible but you need to be careful with water parameters and make sure you can actually sustain the low water change schedule. 2.5 gallon is not much room for fish but will work fine for snails and shrimp.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you!

Im looking forward to this, I think I'll use this as an opportunity to try a dirted tank for the first time

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 04:15 AM
Algae Grower

You're doing exactly what I would like to do. Thank you for this topic!

Interested in meeting Planted Tank/Fish enthusiasts in the Green Bay and Sturgeon Bay, WI, areas. Inspired by what others do, no matter how big/small/complicated/simple it is.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:12 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpuppet View Post
I'm thinking of setting up a small (2+gal) planted vase for the bedroom.

I've seen a ton of videos by MD Tanks and Floo the Flowerhorn, and they do no-filter, no-heater nano tanks that are beautiful and exactly what I'd like to accomplish.

Any advice or explanations on how this works? Tips for setting up?

And if you care to share your no-filter, no-heater nano I'd love to see it!

Thanks!
6 Months Update (Population Explosion) NO filter, NO CO2, NO Ferts 5 Gallon Nano Tank
Foo the Flowerhorn

13M views 1 year ago

I dont know about MD tanks but I really like foo's but Foo does have a heater, in the back left of his tank, when doing water changes and the level drops you can see it.
Plus he/she doesn't mention the no heater.

It tripped me up and I went back and rewatched it. read the caption

Give it a month, just set up a 1gal planted and turned heater off. (automatic 80F is not cool) I will post pics then.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 05:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
I have done everything from a traditional tank without heat or filtration to vases and other odd shaped things. As somewhatshocked said, overplant and under stock. Your plants are your filter. They are your biofiliter too. My favorite (which was a standard 5 gallon) had soil, but only about 1/4 inch. I did fine without it. Fast growing plants help as well, though they probably won't grow all that fast, it will get the plant mass going.

I get the circumstances, I really struggled to have a tank in my bedroom for these reasons, but it will always work better with a filter. I know you don't want to go that direction, I am just saying even a really undersized filter can go a long way. On the contrary, I only had room in my bedroom for a tank and I couldn't do it, though at my old place, I had a nano with a Zoo Med 501 and that didn't keep me up. Just saying that if you were to use a filter, it works better, but if you keep it simple, it definitely can work surprisingly well.

-Matt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode