What’s your go to filter for a nano tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
What’s your go to filter for a nano tank

Just like the title says, I was curious what folks used for filter. I have a Fluval C2 and it’s a little too much for the fish that would go in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 01:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
What size nano?

The Azoo Mignon 60 is a good one. There's a gate valve atop the intake tube to reduce flow as well. I have it partially closed on my 2.5ish gallon

I also use Marineland bio-wheel 100's on my 10g's and like them quite a bit (especially after adding a prefilter sponge to the intake)

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
It's a 10 gallon nano. The C2 from Fluval is a great filter, but even at it's lowest setting it produces enough current to blow little fish like Dario Dario or any of the nano rasboras around. I'd ideally like a HOB filter so it doesn't take up tank real estate.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:34 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use the C2 on my 10G but have also used the Dennerle corner filter in a 10g and a 2.5g. It is quiet and unobtrusive. I would recommend either, but find the maintenance of the C2 to be much friendlier. Regarding the C2 strength, I have found that its flow is pretty mild as long as you keep the water level high. Once the filter is making a full waterfall, it makes a lot more flow.

40g high-tech planted with CRS, CPD, and other nano-fish:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2.5g low-tech with CRS, Amano, and Nerite
No longer in service: 10g high-tech planted with CRS, and CPD:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ohaple; 08-06-2019 at 07:36 PM. Reason: 4
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Try the Aqua Clear 20 or 30.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Aquaclear 20 with Hagen/fluval skimmer attachment.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 02:28 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (487/100%)
I run AC 20s on most of my tanks below 5gal. AC 30s on my 5.5s and AC 50s on my 10s. Even have one with an AC 70. My 20gal longs now run 110s - some of them run two. Most of them have been going strong for about a decade.

They have tons of room for media and can be slowed way down with the intake flow control, sponge pre-filter and packing the things with all kinds of sponges and ceramic. Also easy to cut intake pipes down to whatever size you need for shallow tanks and parts are cheap and readily available. Ideal for my shrimp tanks where I tend to over-filter.

I have a few RedSea Nanos (similar to Azoo Mignon - both appear to be rebranded OEM equipment) that I've used through the years on tiny 20cm cubes. They work pretty well but tend to be brittle, have very little room for media and require more frequent maintenance than ACs.

Edit: Neglected to mention that I also run various Eheim filters on tanks ranging from 4gal to 20gal. It's amazing what you can do with DIY spray bars if hanging a filter on the back of a tank isn't a convenient option.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 08-08-2019 at 03:14 PM. Reason: edit
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 03:17 PM
Algae Grower

While I don't have a suggestion for you, I would say that I don't think the Azoo filters are particularly good. If you follow the path of least resistance it seems like the water isn't forced through much of the filter media and bypass (over the top of the sponges) is likely to happen at some point.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 04:10 PM
Algae Grower

I am using an Eheim 2213 filter for my 10 gallon. When I had a 5 gallon, I used the smaller 2211. It seems like I am over filtering but it seems to work. Initially, the flow might need to be turned down a little on the exhaust side, but after several months the filters outflow seems to slow down a little and then you donít need to decrease the flow. Perhaps this info may be helpful to the OP or to anyone starting a new nano. All the best, john
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM
Algae Grower

Similar to the above user, I run an oversized filter. I've got a finnex px360 on my 6 gallon cube. I put a valve in the outflow line so I can throttle the flow down a bit. Before water changes I let it go full flow for a bit to move stuff around/get waste into suspension.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in