Betta Tank (New kid on the block) - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Frank158

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Betta Tank (New kid on the block)

Normally, I keep a saltwater nano reef. However, I would like to try my hand at a 10 gallon freshwater planted tank. I am open to all suggestions. The picture attached shows what I have collected:

Aqueon 10 Gallon
Aqueon Live Planted Aqaurium Clip-On LED Fixture
Tetra Whisper 5-10
Cobalt Neo-Therm Super Flat 50 Watt Heater
Malaysian Driftwood and Dragon Stone

What substrate should I use? What plants should I plant? How many plants should I plant? Do I need a CO2 system?

I will add only one (1) Betta. Is there a good site to purchase a Betta?

HELP!

Bump: Front View:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25Jul19D.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	884737  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 06:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sadly I'm not sure that light will grow anything except some super low light plants like Anubias, Java fern, Java moss and a few crypt plants, some marimo balls. With those type plants you certainly don't have to have CO2.

Substrate not big deal in that type of tank. Caribsea Peace River is my favorite plain gravel.

You can also go the safeTsorb route its dirt cheap and good at growing plants and also looks nice. Heres one of pics from another member here. You'll need way more light grow plants like this though

As far as finding a betta, just visit local stores and find one, even Petco etc. Look for young healthy specimen that you like the color of and is active rambunctious. This guy came from Petco. Id rather see them in person and watch how they swim and act. You don't want a lazy ass betta who just lays there and hardly ever swims.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 12:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quick question: Is that carved piece with the lion made of wood or plastic? Hopefully plastic.

As DaveKS noted your light is going to limit plants quite a bit. I would stick with Java Moss which grows pretty much anywhere. Buy a bunch and spread it out on that piece of driftwood with super glue or cotton thread and it will fluff up in a month or two and cover the whole thing.

Substrate can be whatever you find aesthetically pleasing. You won't be growing much if anything in the way of rooted plants with that light so don't spend money on an active substrate that contains fertilizers.

Your local fish store will sell bettas so you can buy from there. If you must buy online then you have options. I bought my betta on e bay. Aquabid is also popular and I have heard good things about spacecityfishandcoral.com but have never used them.

If you change up the light to get access to more plants then let us know. A good option for a tank that size is the Asta 20 Freshwater. But there are a lot of options in this dept. Good luck!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 12:46 PM
Planted Member

Low light tanks can be really nice and a great way to get experience in keeping a planted tank. Here is a is a list of low light plants:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...ht-plants.html

I have a low light 15 gallon betta tank and keep java fern, cryp parva, java moss, and other unidentified crypts and it looks great. For substrate I have pool filter sand. Best of all because the light is low I have no algae issues at all.....but it is very slow growing.

Enjoy!
RCB likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

DaveKS, thanks! After reading your comments, I plan to use three or four different kinds of anubias plants. Once again, THANKS!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

minorhero and Frank158, I also thank you! minorhero, the lion is my backdrop. I am a photographer; I shot a fountain with my Nikon and Tamron 45mm lens. Then, I had the photo custom made to the size of my tank. I may purchase the Astra 20 Freshwater for another tank down the road. Nonetheless, I will use cheaper substrate. Finally, I may try some java moss on my wood. (I really like the anubias!)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I just discovered wetplants.com has eight variations of anubias!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I went with Flourite Red for my substrate. I plan to add some plants this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_700a.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	885491  

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:28 AM
Planted Member

I'm fond of Java fern var Windelov myself - the trident tips on the leaves make it much more decorative than the standard variant and just as easy to grow, in my opinion! That can attach to your driftwood the same as the anubias.

Bear in mind that a lot of anubias species get quite big, although they grow slowly so it will take a long time. I just pulled what I am pretty sure was Anubias barteri from my tank yesterday - it was taking up a full half of a 20 long!

You could consider some floating plants as well - I like salvinia and water sprite myself, although the latter gets big as well.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:47 AM
Algae Grower

@Haggai1.5 [/I]I will add only one (1) Betta. Is there a good site to purchase a Betta?[/I]

I would try Upscale Aquatics at 110 N. Statesville Road, Huntersville, NC 28078

According to your profile, looks like that's close & from their website, they have a very nice selection of freshwater fish, including a betta section all to it's self. Even if what you want is "Out of Stock" on their website, chances are they deal with a distributor that stocks them with what they have listed. If you're only getting one fish, I'd just tell them what you want and tell they you can wait a while (you'll need to cycle your tank anyway) , until they get in a good one.

"The Sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before, the old phrase has literal meaning: We are all in the same boat" -Jacques Yves Cousteau
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Get something besides just Anubias so there will be contrast in form and color.

Good old crypt wendtti brown or red

Maybe some taller crypt undulata along back

Then give some red root floaters a try, Betta be lov’n that stuff and easy to keep. Floating plants are extremely good water cleaners, they have access to all light and CO2 they want at water surface, they can really keep the phosphate and nitrate and organics levels in aquarium in check and cut down on your needs for water changes.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank158 View Post
Low light tanks can be really nice and a great way to get experience in keeping a planted tank. Here is a is a list of low light plants:

I have a low light 15 gallon betta tank and keep java fern, cryp parva, java moss, and other unidentified crypts and it looks great. For substrate I have pool filter sand. Best of all because the light is low I have no algae issues at all.....but it is very slow growing.

Enjoy!
Frank, may you please post a picture of your 15 gallon Betta Tank?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank158 View Post

Enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanblueramlover View Post
I'm fond of Java fern var Windelov myself - the trident tips on the leaves make it much more decorative than the standard variant and just as easy to grow, in my opinion! That can attach to your driftwood the same as the anubias.

Bear in mind that a lot of anubias species get quite big, although they grow slowly so it will take a long time. I just pulled what I am pretty sure was Anubias barteri from my tank yesterday - it was taking up a full half of a 20 long!

You could consider some floating plants as well - I like salvinia and water sprite myself, although the latter gets big as well.
Thanks for the advice! After I finish with the ground crew, I will add floaters to cap my tank off!

Bump: Thanks for the tip! I will reach out to them this weekend.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sittinglynx, thanks for the tip! I will reach out too them this weekend.

Dave you are the best! I ordered some crypts for wetplants to be placed in the left corner.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Background Design . . .

Today, I purchased tickets for CATS. (My wife wanted to see the play.) As such, I could only afford plants for the background. I ordered four (4) plants from wetplants.com.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Plants1.pdf (253.4 KB, 4 views)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode