2Likes
  • 1 Post By minorhero
  • 1 Post By pauld738

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Betta 15 Gallon Column Tank

Dave the dragon-scale betta's new home.
The anacharis has grown significantly in a month, but I am looking to add some shrimp and more plants. Any suggestions?

This is my setup:
- Aqueon 15 gallon column, with LED lighted hood
- Digital Heater
- Marineland Pinguin Biowheel 150 with modified filtration (no carbon)
youtube.com/watch?v=Ykdv9JS9nNI[/url
- Anachrius
- Moss Balls
- Black gravel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58249698541__7EE16A60-4D75-47A3-9515-C984CDDF34AA.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	884601  

Attached Files
File Type: mov IMG_0044.mov (9.11 MB, 31 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
What a beautiful Betta.
How long have you had him/her?

I am a bit concerned about the filtration - it seems inadequate to the deep dimensions of the tank. There really is no water movement anywhere in the tank, even where the filter turns in at the top water line.
Also, I would put in an air-stone to increase oxygen because the small surface area in relation to depth of tank greatly minimizes gas exchange.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech - Breeding tank
30 g. low-tech Shrimp tank - wild-type neocaradina and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
9 gallon Shrimp tank- Caridina cantonensis ("Golden Bee's"). *Tank still at cycling stage.

“Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Amano shrimp are the typical go to for shrimp to keep with a betta. They get pretty big so hopefully the betta wont eat them and they do a good job keeping the tank clean. A few snails would also be a good idea.

Plants that are tall and skinny would be good in this kind of setup. Vallisneria comes to mind as does hornroot.
Betta Kelly likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

The filter's current was a bit too powerful, so I modified a filter sponge at the output to reduce the flow. I have read that bettas are native to slow or no moving water rivers/ponds.
The biowheel on the filter and the anacharis plants add O2. Also, betta's have a labyrinth organ so they can breath air from the surface. He seems content enough with the O2 content. I have an air stone if need be, but thought with all the oxygenators it would not be needed.
I just got Dave about 1 month ago and I believe him to be a juvenile, as he is only 2" and adults are supposed to be 3". My previous betta was in a 1.5 gallon and jumped out, things didn't work out to well for him that day. So guess who went out and got this monster of a tank (for a betta, that is.)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 11:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Kelly View Post
The filter's current was a bit too powerful, so I modified a filter sponge at the output to reduce the flow. I have read that bettas are native to slow or no moving water rivers/ponds.
The biowheel on the filter and the anacharis plants add O2. Also, betta's have a labyrinth organ so they can breath air from the surface. He seems content enough with the O2 content. I have an air stone if need be, but thought with all the oxygenators it would not be needed.
I just got Dave about 1 month ago and I believe him to be a juvenile, as he is only 2" and adults are supposed to be 3". My previous betta was in a 1.5 gallon and jumped out, things didn't work out to well for him that day. So guess who went out and got this monster of a tank (for a betta, that is.)
Good luck!

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer discus pair and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech - Breeding tank
30 g. low-tech Shrimp tank - wild-type neocaradina and Caridina cf. babaulti "Zebra"
9 gallon Shrimp tank- Caridina cantonensis ("Golden Bee's"). *Tank still at cycling stage.

“Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:45 PM
Algae Grower

I second hornwort but have it floating at the top. Also Java moss or similar. Putting shrimp in after the betta is going to be difficult. The java moss will give them places to hide. Hopefully. Who knows, maybe your guy will not be interested at all but be prepared if he views the new shrimp as food. I'm getting away with it in my 5 gallon. Plakat betta with 3 short nose algae shrimp but the betta went in after. I suspect my betta might have some mental issues though. lol!

15 gallons is not that big. I kept a common red betta in a 100 gallon once. He loved it.
Betta Kelly likes this.

Tags
15 gallon, betta, column tank, moss balls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode