My Three Nanos "low maintenance" nanos - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jeffww

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
My Three Nanos "low maintenance" nanos

Just sharing my three nano tanks. An ADA 30c, an aquamaxx 22 Long, and an ADA 45p. All are relatively low maintenance tanks despite being relatively high tech. The SPS nano reef will be interesting to do as a "low maintenance" system. I have a dosing pump ready to do my auto top offs (but only for ~ half the evaporated water to prevent overfill risk) and a very small amount of Alk/Ca dosing. The rest I will accomplish with water changes to limit my headache of balancing dosing in ~6g of water. It has been set up for about 1 week with some cheap test corals now. The black cage is the prison I put my hermit crabs in....they get fed when they seem hungry.
Click image for larger version

Name:	reef1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	884201

Name:	reef2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	884203

The ADA 45p is my wife's desktop aquarium and is filled with algae to sustain the two otocinclus and amano shrimp. Although they seem quite happy munching on the nymphoides. I will have to replant the carpet soon. But it always grows back quickly with CO2 despite being heavily shaded. I do water changes every other week despite dosing full EI with Thrive +. Nitrates are almost always 0. The nymphoides is a huge sponge for nutrients and the monte carlo is probably living off of osmocote buried underneath it every other month or so.

Name:	betta1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	322.1 KB
ID:	884205

The 22 long is where I grow my favorite plants. I realized after doing several "aquascapes" I was always happiest when I just let the plants do their thing and not worry about shapes or placement. Trimmings are straightforward mow downs of everything to make my life easier (trimmed last week). Dosing this tank is a little complex though as there is a mix of difficult and easy plants that need to be kept happy but is essentially full EI with less macros and a custom GH/KH blend for the tap water. I put worm castings and osmocote under the aquasoil every once in awhile when my nitrates start bottoming out despite dosing 12-20ppm each week and feeding heavily. Again, nymphaea and other lily-type plants will completely deplete the water of nutrients when they get big enough.

Name:	betta2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	884207
Plant list (some designations are dubious):
Nymphaea gardeneria 'santeram'
Nymphaea micrantha 'tricolor'
Glosso
Hydrocotyle tripartita 'japan mini'
Anubias nana
Java fern sp. 'india'
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Eleocharis parvula
Helanthium tenellum
Rotala macrandra 'yellow narrow'
Rotala macrandra 'mini red' <-stays annoyingly green
Rotala h'ra <-always orange
Rotala 'pink' <- stays yellow-green despite being bought in an ADA TC cup
Limnophila aromatica 'mini'
Ludwigia palustris 'mini red' <-not very mini and looks like normal palustris in high light anyways
Blyxa alternifolia
Vallisneria nana <-grows very slowly in my tank, water is probably too soft.
Discusluv likes this.

Fluval Spec V
7x Microsynodontis sp (1)

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog

Last edited by Jeffww; 07-16-2019 at 05:48 AM. Reason: forgot about carpet plants
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Love them all mate, the 22 long is a tank I've wanted for a while and I love your style. Let the plants do what they want, simply mow every now and then!
Great work!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo33 View Post
Love them all mate, the 22 long is a tank I've wanted for a while and I love your style. Let the plants do what they want, simply mow every now and then!
Great work!
Thanks! The long is great for those of us with volume limits on aquariums (landlord rules) but also want more planting space. One thing I experience though is that there isn't enough height for some plants to color up very well.some finicky rotala need to be a certain height to start coloring up and as a result they end up having to start crawling across the top quite a bit.

Fluval Spec V
7x Microsynodontis sp (1)

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode