2 things: cyano in the nano + parasites or consitpation? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi everyone,

1: cyano

I was gone for three days, I had removed all the cyano I could before, then I came back and it was dense. I performed a gravel vac, while peeling it off the surface. I just bought some plants to put in ... and they haven’t rooted just yet ... so I don’t want to do a blackout. I am considering the nuke ... chemiclean or ultralife blue green remover.

Photo attached.

Thoughts? I now have the second thing pop up at the same time.

2: parasites on these fish or constipation? I’ll attach photos.

I was away for 3 days and didn’t feed. Came back, fed the moment I returned - all fish ate. Then one had a brown stringy poop ... figured that’s ok ... then another did ... the first was complimented with some awkward swimming, but when the poop passed, she swam just fine with the school.

This morning, I noticed these clear poops ... not sure what to do - do I buy two treatments today? I fed this morning to see if they’d take it - they all ate ... should I medicate food? If so, with what?

Note: no inverted tummy ... one is female the other male ... male has very normal behavior - still flaring for females...female flexing her fins just fine as well. I read this could be from stomach lining/reabsorption of eggs.

I appreciate the help, as I’d like to hit the store in the next few hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	87A5F490-60C9-4361-ABA1-BB0EADD9D1EB_1562671921279.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	883903  

Name:	image_1562671952122.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	883905  

Name:	image_1562671986939.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	883907  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 01:51 PM
Planted Member

If you have cyno bacteria then a blackout won't help it doesn't need light to grow it's not algae. You should immediately treat with Erythromycin which is an antibiotic. Any good fish store will sell it. If your fish have a bacteria problem this will also help. Follow the directions on the package. You will need to remove your biological filter media while treating. I take mine out and stick it in a bucket with tank water during treatment days.

If you don't know if you have it or not, then smell your tank. It has a foul odor when the cyno is disturbed.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you so much for the reply - when I called the LFS, they said they can’t sell it anymore, but they do have other products (one of them being chemiclean for reef tanks that should work for freshwater).

Even if the parasite is inside, the antibiotic will still help?

From my attached photos, what are your thoughts?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 02:12 PM
Algae Grower

I've used ultralife blue green remover numerous times and actually recently in the past couple months. It has eliminated the BGA every time. Make sure to have a air-stone running per instruction. I had the lights on as normal as well.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply - I’m going to pick one of these antibiotics today. I’ll let everyone know my experience.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Dosed with ultra life blue green slime remover.

Confirmed with several people that the poop was simply due to not eating for a long time, then eating suddenly - stomach and metabolism ... all good.

Will update on ultra life.

Thanks for all the support.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Did you need to remove the BGA after it died? Or did it just lift off and get filtered?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:13 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuister View Post
Did you need to remove the BGA after it died? Or did it just lift off and get filtered?
For me, the BGA turns grayish and dissolves away so there's no need to physically remove it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Day 1 on the treatment: it hasn’t spread but it hasn’t died either. Some spots got removed.

Rounding day 2: some of the cyano on the wall is “peeling” off and some noticeable oxygen bubbles formed on it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode