How does this Aquascape look? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How does this Aquascape look?

Hi everyone,

I wanted to get your opinions on how this Aquascape set up looks for my Fluval Spec 16. I’m using Seachem Sand for substrate and Dragon Stone & Mopani wood for hardscape. The background has about 3.75” of substrate and the foreground has about 2.25” . I avoided putting in larger rocks because I want the plants to be the main attraction so to speak. I need your opinion on this set up. Does the Mopani wood look out of place? Also I would like ideas on what to plant for the background and foreground. I was thinking of carpeting the foreground with something like Dwarf Hairgrass, S. Repens, or Micro Sword. As for the background, I want different shades of green and I definitely want red plants. I will have high light, CO, and fertilizers so the tank should be able to handle most plants’ needs. I was thinking of leaving that “trail” between the wood and the rocks bare so it’s easily distinguishable, but would it look better if the foreground carpet plants were on the trail as well? Also I raised the left section behind the rocks to be about as high as the background to make separation in the foreground. I wanted to plant a different type of foreground carpet plant than the rest of the tank in this area, such as Anubias Nana Petite. I have a lot more Dragon Stone, Mopani Wood, & Malaysian Driftwood at my disposal. The only thing I keep contemplating is whether or not to replace the Mopani wood with some large Dragon Stone pieces, but I really like the idea of having both rock & wood in my setup. Anyway, sorry for the long post. Your ideas would be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04DD3D67-4843-4ABC-854C-CECC23BB455D_1562295509304.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	883761  

Name:	07AA8011-E4BA-464C-872F-A4BF655E68CF_1562295518912.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	883763  

Name:	F7569072-FE9A-4931-804B-09B132444EE7_1562295531012.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	883765  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wood and rock of the same size and similar shape usually aren't effective together. From the pieces your showing it would be more effective as an Iwagumi by removing the wood and moving the dragon stone on the far right into the middle to interact with the other pieces IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:19 AM
Algae Grower

Yes, I agree with removing the wood and keeping it all stone. The placement of the other stone pieces are good so maybe just removing the wood would look good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:06 PM
Planted Member

+1 to removing the wood. If you want wood in the scape you should get a different piece that is larger and more branch like.

Additionally I would play with the terrain a bit. Try to make it less flat and work your stones in accordingly so they appear to rise out of the ground like you are only seeing the tip of a much larger piece even though you are seeing nearly the whole thing.

Just my 2 cents.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode