Looking for a small tank for my desk at work - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jmontee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking for a small tank for my desk at work

Hello all. I'm a long time fish keeper and still have several tanks at home. However I am looking at possibly getting a small tank to keep on my desk at work in my office. I'm thinking about doing a small planted shrimp tank at work. I have to admit I'm a little out of touch with what nano tanks are out these days, all of my tanks at home are 75 gallons or bigger. I have a few criteria I am hoping to meet, and hoping to find a tank that checks most, if not all, of the boxes. Things that I am looking for are as follows:

Relatively small tank with relatively small footprint
Relatively low maintenance
Set up capable of keeping low to medium tech plants
Quiet equipment to not disturb neighbors

I may come up with other items as I plan deeper into it. I'd like to either find something capable of keeping plants or something with reasonable upgrades capable of keeping plants. I don't want to get into suspending lights or anything with too much light bleeding out into the room. I'd like to keep the maintenance simple and not too often. It won't be a big deal to stay a little late off the clock or stay for part of my lunch break one a week to do water changes. Daily tasks like feeding or topping off won't be a issue. Dosing shouldn't be an issue but don't want to get too deep into it just for simplicty sake.

Just from quick searching I was looking at the spec 2.6, but some seem to say it's a good turn key planted tank, others don't (for various reasons). What's your experience on these tanks? Are there any other tanks that are better suited or that you prefer? I had a Spec 2 gallon and 5 gallon when they first came out, but don't have any experience with the newer versions. I look forward to any opinions you have to offer on what tanks to look into. I might also be able to go with the 5 gallon, I'll just have to play around with my desk and see what I can fit without crowding things too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 03:21 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
The new version of the Spec 5 with 7000K light is a great little tank and extremely quiet. That light will definitely grow low to medium light plants and I think it would be good enough for a Monte Carlo carpet if you wanted to try that. The one thing I didn't like about the light is that at 7000K it was a bit white/blue for my taste but definitely did the job.
Thelongsnail likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 04:30 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (486/100%)
The Spec line of tanks would be totally fine for you because you want to keep low-tech plants and shrimp. The only thing you'd need to do is over the intake to prevent shrimp from getting into the filtration area.

Even if the tank isn't as aesthetically pleasing as a low-iron cube or something, it's tough to piece everything together that you'd need for the price. Tank + filtration + lighting + cover.

You'd only need a small amount of hardscape, some moss, anubias, crypts, really simple stuff.

There are also some more expensive reef-centric all-in-one tanks that would work well for you. But I'm betting you'll find a deal somewhere on a Spec that'll be a lot cheaper than the others. They're $75-$80 now and will likely be cheaper for July 4 sales at various online retailers. It'll also be easy for you to get replacement parts if ever necessary.

Update: Checked out the Spec 2.6 while picking up some stuff this afternoon. My favorite dinky LFS (which wouldn't know a dehumidifier if it bopped it on the head, ugh) had a few set up as displays. They used hideous gravel and the worst plants you can imagine, of course, but seeing them in-person helped sell me on them. Said they weren't necessarily aesthetically pleasing earlier but have changed my mind. Also seem to be built better than I remembered.

You should definitely consider the 2.6 & 5 out if all you want to house is shrimp. Rachel O'Leary has a few videos of her 5 that you may want to check out, as well: https://www.youtube.com/user/msjinkzd/videos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 07-02-2019 at 08:06 PM. Reason: update

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I agree with the others on the Fluval Spec V. I have 2 of the older ones before they upgraded them a bit. I've just grown anubias and java fern in one with the original light and no ferts and have great growth from them. On the other I used an older Fluval FugeRay and grew crypts, anubias and moss like crazy.

Check out prices on these tanks at Ken's Fish - they seem to be the lowest around at $72.95 and have free shipping over $49.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 12:42 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (486/100%)
Any idea if Ken's has the newer models of Spec or just the old ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueD View Post
I agree with the others on the Fluval Spec V. I have 2 of the older ones before they upgraded them a bit. I've just grown anubias and java fern in one with the original light and no ferts and have great growth from them. On the other I used an older Fluval FugeRay and grew crypts, anubias and moss like crazy.

Check out prices on these tanks at Ken's Fish - they seem to be the lowest around at $72.95 and have free shipping over $49.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode