Spare 1.5 gallon tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post Spare 1.5 gallon tank

Hey, I have a spare 1.5 gallon tank laying around, any ideas on what to do with it? It is too small for fish, I was planning on using it for growing plants to be propagated temporarily, but after that I don't know what to do with it. Maybe a Java fern and some snails? I could use it as a snail plantation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:02 PM
Planted Member

Shrimp!! <3 I bet you could do up a fancy aquascape, then after a month or two, put a handful of shrimp in there. <3

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you, that is what I was thinking. Any ideas on plants? It is very tiny and cube shaped. Perhaps some nana val.? I could put a little sand or gravel in there and have some nana val. with a little sideways half-buried clay flower pot or a little cave.

'Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light' -Albus Dumbledore

'Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you have to keep moving' -Albert Einstein

'When in doubt, water change it out' -Nikolaus(Fishlore)

'Give me a fish and I eat for a day. Teach me to fish and I eat for a lifetime.' -(unknown)

'The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish' -(unknown)

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:45 PM
Planted Member

A short grass plant would be great! I wonder if a Anubius Nana petit could look really neat as a centerpiece on a holey rock or little piece of wood, with the nana val behind it? I'd probably buy some itty bitty marimo balls for the shrimp to play with, too. The shrimp's colors really POP against the deep green of the balls! Since it's so cheap, you could try some monte carlo in the sand, too. I did that in my 15 gallon, and though it isn't spreading (yet?) or doing much of anything, it isn't dying off either, and it looks nice against the light sand with "pebbles" scattered around!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:58 PM
Planted Member

Here is a photo of the corner of my tank - I was attempting to take a pic of my brand new crinum plant!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190624_174840117_1561489172911.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	883267  

aquanerd13 likes this.

Last edited by Cinnamonamon; 06-25-2019 at 07:33 PM. Reason: ..
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hmmm. I like the Monte Carlo idea. I could get this https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...arium-ornament and attach an Anubias Nana to it. I could have Monte Carlo as a carpet or at least patches of it and some moss balls throughout the tank. After a while I could get some Amano Shrimp.

Bump: There is no photo.
Cinnamonamon likes this.

'Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light' -Albus Dumbledore

'Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you have to keep moving' -Albert Einstein

'Give me a fish and I eat for a day. Teach me to fish and I eat for a lifetime.' -(unknown)

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:04 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
Hmmm. I like the Monte Carlo idea. I could get this https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...arium-ornament and attach an Anubias Nana to it. I could have Monte Carlo as a carpet or at least patches of it and some moss balls throughout the tank. After a while I could get some Amano Shrimp.

Bump: There is no photo.
look now! I fixed it! lol

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It looks like a kraken lol!! Is it easy to take care of?
Cinnamonamon likes this.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:31 PM
Planted Member

LOL! It is SO cool looking, right? I have no idea how easy it is...I literally got it yesterday from Aquarium Co-op and shoved it into my tank. I know that if it does well it will outgrow my little 15 gallon tank ridiculously! I'm hoping my low ferts, no CO2 tank will keep it slow growing for a while! I've seen people trim 6+ feet off their plants! ...so yea, maybe not the most practical choice for a small tank, but I can always move it, eventually!
aquanerd13 likes this.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow! That may even outgrow the 75 gallon it would go in. It is so wackily awesome though!!
Cinnamonamon likes this.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:45 PM
Planted Member

Right? It floats along the top when it gets long...hopefully I have a couple years, though. That tank is dirted, so we'll see how it responds... so far (the tank is only a month or two old) the floating frogbit has exploded insanely, and the crypts are filling in regularly. Everything else is behaving like it's growing in your average low-tech tank -- pretty much staying the same (maybe because the frogbit is taking up so much of the light!).

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I love the way the frog bit roots dangle but they spread so dang fast I couldn't keep it under control. I will get salvinia minima instead. It is weird that it floats though when it gets long. You should get a floating boat bath toy or something and put the arms of the crinum over the ship like it was being attacked by the kraken.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:14 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanerd13 View Post
You should get a floating boat bath toy or something and put the arms of the crinum over the ship like it was being attacked by the kraken.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

https://webstockreview.net/images/na...ld-world-4.png

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

EXACTLY!!!! They also have those little divers like this one https://www.amazon.com/TOOGOO-Aquari...ateway&sr=8-12 and the 'kraken' could have its arm around the diver, and the broken air line bubbler part..... or this ship sitting on the bottom https://www.amazon.com/Forart-Treasu...gateway&sr=8-8

Bump: This ship would be cool. https://www.amazon.com/Wish-Novelty-Plastic-Figures-Toy-Playset/dp/B073G8N13M/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=floating+ship&qid=1561494394& s=gateway&sr=8-15

Bump: https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=61NRvf5v&id=40F5EDC72AE3 63ADA4F113403F7A41035DD867D8&thid=OIP.61NRvf5vlo8t FwhpBAfuTwHaFU&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2f736x%2fb1%2f07%2fc7%2fb107c7f0c4d 2777d544db77ec7cb253d--the-kraken-pirate-ships.jpg&exph=529&expw=736&q=kraken+with+ship&sim id=608033493894498877&selectedIndex=58&ajaxhist=0
Cinnamonamon likes this.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:48 PM
Planted Member

Ha! My 16 year old son tried to get me to buy a diver that is attached to a bubbler & floats! I kind of regret refusing him, now!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode