2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kubla
  • 1 Post By DaveKS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Cbn

PTrader: (0/0%)
Suggestions for substrate.

I have a 14 gallon jbj all in one nano cube. I would really like a dwarf hairgrass carpet in the middle. I'm going to use the fluval nano light which probably won't be enough for all my plants but if its directly above my DHG it should be fine, right? My biggest concern however is the substrate. I have been really thinking of doing a dirted aquarium with a cap but I just feel like I might mess up or a gas bubble will pop. I'm also not the biggest fan of eco complete I've used it before and was not impressed but are there any other suggestion for a neocradina shrimp only tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:15 AM
Algae Grower

I plan on using Tropica Soil Powder for my carpeting plants.

10 G / 20 G long, low-tech planted / 125 G, working on the aquascape and collecting hardware
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:00 PM
Planted Member

Are you planning to run Co2? My research showed that carpets really need CO2 to come together. DHG will grow without CO2 but apparently won't carpet.

If running CO2 and dosing your water column with fertilizers then any substrate will work. Sand, active substrates (aqua soil etc), capped dirt, so on.

Active substrates will take out some of the fertilizing needed early on (same as capped dirt) but eventually they run out and you need to redo everything or start dosing your water column anyway so /shrug it depends on how you want to run your tank.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I know people do it successfully but I don't even think I can imagine how frustrated I would get trying to plant DHG in EC. It could be the 10th circle in Dante's work!
Discusluv likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Are you planning to run Co2? My research showed that carpets really need CO2 to come together. DHG will grow without CO2 but apparently won't carpet.

If running CO2 and dosing your water column with fertilizers then any substrate will work. Sand, active substrates (aqua soil etc), capped dirt, so on.

Active substrates will take out some of the fertilizing needed early on (same as capped dirt) but eventually they run out and you need to redo everything or start dosing your water column anyway so /shrug it depends on how you want to run your tank.
DHG will carpet without CO2 but its tough to do. I've done it several times. There are lots of carpet plants that carpet without CO2. They carpet better in a good substrate like aqua soil.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You might find the pic here and his explanation of DHG preferences for a finer substrate interesting.

https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/...substrate.html

In fact read all his articles and pages about substrate and microbial layering and youíll be a much wiser aquarium builder because of it.
ipkiss likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:23 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couesfanatic View Post
DHG will carpet without CO2 but its tough to do. I've done it several times. There are lots of carpet plants that carpet without CO2. They carpet better in a good substrate like aqua soil.
That's pretty spiffy! How did you do it? Everything I have read said it won't carpet and the only carpeting plant that will work without co2 I am aware of is crypt parva which is super super slow.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 03:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Start it in ADA Aquasoil, dry start, transition to submersed, Medium light, dose excel. Plant heavy from the beginning.

If you are looking for a carpet without co2 try Monte Carlo, its pretty easy. Moss is the easiest for the carpet look, but Monte Carlo looks pretty good.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode