2Likes
  • 1 Post By Roomba960
  • 1 Post By Roomba960

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Arrow 12 Gallon Aquapod - From Salt to Fresh

Greetings. My first post here so I'll briefly outline my goals. I retired my marine Aquapod 12 a few years ago, it was running very successfully as a hard and soft coral tank for about four years before I shut it down due to time getting scarcer. I heavily customized it when it was a marine tank including ATO, hidden refugium, LED swap out and even an under the hood protein skimmer of my design. I'll link some YouTube videos later if anyone wants to see it what it looked like as a marine tank.

The Aquapod 12 was/is an all-glass bowed all-in-one tank of modest success many years ago, There are five rear compartments. What remains from the original is the glass tank, compartments, hood and stand.

My goal is to create a low maintenance(i love automation) green planted tank reusing much of the equipment I have where possible. The LED lights are 16 x 3W Cree or equivalent, I'll need to swap in some red's at the very least I believe, this is my starting point. I have lots to read and lots of questions!
DaveKS likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Welcome!! Lots of great information to be found on the forum. You should have tons of space for filter media in that tank with the built in compartments.

What are you thinking about regarding plants and stocking?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Welcome!! Lots of great information to be found on the forum. You should have tons of space for filter media in that tank with the built in compartments.

What are you thinking about regarding plants and stocking?

Thank you for your reply. I haven't really looked at what to stock just yet other than I want a green tank with dark gravel, the last fresh water tank I had was as a teenager and that is a few moons ago... I bought a small bag of the fluval fertilizer gravel to play with in some jars and I like what i see. I have a root-ball of a young cherry tree that I am cleaning up and considering using as a center piece, it will have to be cut down as its larger than the entire tank at this point. I would love to use it in something like a 75g tank but I don't have the room for it.

My immediate to do list.
- Clean the tank for freshwater. Done, four years of Coraline growth came off with a good vinegar soak.
- Sort out the custom LED in the hood. When I bought the 16 emitters they were for coral growth and so I'll have to swap in some reds I think. I need to figure out what they are and what is compatible. I only have one dimmable LED driver and I need two or one larger one.
- Clean the cherry roots and decide if I can use some of it as a center piece.
- Research substrate, lighting, chemistry flora and fauna. Tetras or maybe killifish if my equipment is suitable.
Cheers!
Phil Edwards likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode