Mikee's Nano Cube - The Planted Tank Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool Mikee's Nano Cube

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've browsed this forum, but I'm back with my little nano cube.

Still debating on what to house, but I'm leaning towards a betta. Theres a LFS near me and they have some beautiful halfmoons and dragons.

Enjoy a couple of photos taken a few hours after it had been set up! (sorry if the images are too large. I read the rules for the dimensions, but Imgur is not allowing me to resize for some reason)

Tank: Mr. Aqua 12" x "12 x 12" (approx. 7-7.5 gallons)
Filter: Azoo mignon 60 (with upgraded biomax media)
lighting: Nicrew LED (day and night modes available)
substrate: Fluval Stratum
Ferts: NilocG Aquatics - Thrive+ All
heating: Aqueon 50w (adjustable)

Last edited by mikeemorales; 05-24-2019 at 11:31 PM. Reason: mistyped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 11:26 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Looks good, man. The greens really pop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Wait a minute. Wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Because he's thirsty, dummy!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 12:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
That is going to be a great looking tank. I love how you were able to pretty much background it with mopani wood. And nice contrast with the stone. Only thing that immediately catches my eye as a concern might be the substrate, but please correct me if I'm mistaken. I only ever see soft round pellets like that when it's acid buffering substrate for Caridina shrimp. Which I personally keep and use those on. But unless setting up a Caridina tank would be loathe to use for plants and most fish for obvious reasons. I'm guessing I'm about to learn about a planted substrate that looks just like those that I use for crystals and bees, and not informing you of anything though! But if you don't mind, please let me know what you're using.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike00726 View Post
Looks good, man. The greens really pop.
thank you! It definitely does

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
That is going to be a great looking tank. I love how you were able to pretty much background it with mopani wood. And nice contrast with the stone. Only thing that immediately catches my eye as a concern might be the substrate, but please correct me if I'm mistaken. I only ever see soft round pellets like that when it's acid buffering substrate for Caridina shrimp. Which I personally keep and use those on. But unless setting up a Caridina tank would be loathe to use for plants and most fish for obvious reasons. I'm guessing I'm about to learn about a planted substrate that looks just like those that I use for crystals and bees, and not informing you of anything though! But if you don't mind, please let me know what you're using.
appreciate the kind words. I'm hoping it fills out. I already see some of the java fern sprouting towards the back and can't wait for the staurogyne to cover the bottom and entrance to the cave (might be hard to see from the photos, but it's underneath the driftwood). No worries! I appreciate the concern. I'm using fluval stratum, which is definitely for plants and shrimp, but in my home we have a pretty high PH level of 7.2-7.3. Definitely not the worst PH, but I've used this substrate/seiryu stone combo before to achieve PH levels around 6.8-6.9. I've also housed bolivian rams in a similar setup, but for my larger tanks in the past. We have a LFS here that has a 50% refund policy on fish if there were an instance for me to return said fish. So if ever in the event that I see harm to the fish caused by the substrate, I would definitely return it. With all that being said, I've never had a proper shrimp tank, so this nano tank may actually be the perfect chance to do so!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

*update*

The staurogyne are loving the nilocG ferts

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very nice setup. Kuddos to you!
Often times people scape one- dimensional or haphazardly. You either spent some time thinking about it, or very gifted. Either way, very nice. I cant wait to see it grown out. Shrimp tanks are nice... but shrimp tanks are better with Endlers!

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

Well done! Seeing a beautiful tank like this want makes me want to do a small beta or shrimp tank!

Inspirational!

|

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearerlove View Post
Very nice setup. Kuddos to you!
Often times people scape one- dimensional or haphazardly. You either spent some time thinking about it, or very gifted. Either way, very nice. I cant wait to see it grown out. Shrimp tanks are nice... but shrimp tanks are better with Endlers!
Thank you! I will go with the former on that one lol. I spent about two weeks collecting the materials to build the thank and another week trying to figure out a scape that would look a) appealing at all angles and b) have a couple hiding spots for whatever I end up housing. Endler's may be a good idea. Have any experience with em?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
Well done! Seeing a beautiful tank like this want makes me want to do a small beta or shrimp tank!

Inspirational!
Appreciate it! I definitely think you should make one! .. or two

Bump: I've also been giving my videography hobby a little more time of day. Here's a little teaser of when it was set up. Going to do a 3-month update video, 6-month, and 12-month.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeemorales View Post
Have any experience with em?
Experience? that's an understatement. I have been breeding them for 10 years developing new strains, etc. People dont realize how stunning the color combinations can be... smaller than a guppy, bright colors, but less flashy and very easy going. Personal favorites that are easier to find are Japanese Blue lyretail, Staeck or Blue Stars. Im perfecting my 'Blue Dragons' which will be my new strain for 2019 (I was to produce purple/blue/cobra with ice white/metalic accents).

They love the same water as shrimp and are very docile- they wont eat your shrimp, very undemanding and non-aggressive. All of my breeding tanks are heavily planted with endlers and multiple varieties of shrimp/nertite snails. Happy communities!

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Experience? that's an understatement. I have been breeding them for 10 years developing new strains, etc. People dont realize how stunning the color combinations can be... smaller than a guppy, bright colors, but less flashy and very easy going. Personal favorites that are easier to find are Japanese Blue lyretail, Staeck or Blue Stars. Im perfecting my 'Blue Dragons' which will be my new strain for 2019 (I was to produce purple/blue/cobra with ice white/metalic accents).

They love the same water as shrimp and are very docile- they wont eat your shrimp, very undemanding and non-aggressive. All of my breeding tanks are heavily planted with endlers and multiple varieties of shrimp/nertite snails. Happy communities!
Amazing. It's awesome to fall into a hobby like aquascaping, to join a forum out of pure curiosity of what other hobbyist have going on, and to find out someone has been breeding/developing new species. Truly amazing to discover. Will probably end up stocking this tank with endlers now! Do you have any links or photos to your endlers? Tried browsing your profile, but can't seem to find any photos.

How many do you think I can stock in my 7gallon?

So far, I'm thinking of picking up some otocinclus' and maybe 2-3 corydoras.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeemorales View Post
Amazing. It's awesome to fall into a hobby like aquascaping, to join a forum out of pure curiosity of what other hobbyist have going on, and to find out someone has been breeding/developing new species. Truly amazing to discover. Will probably end up stocking this tank with endlers now! Do you have any links or photos to your endlers? Tried browsing your profile, but can't seem to find any photos.

How many do you think I can stock in my 7gallon?

So far, I'm thinking of picking up some otocinclus' and maybe 2-3 corydoras.
Real endlers are so small you could have a decent quantity of males (but it also depends what else you stock it with). I know I have a 6 gallon that hold 10 of them plus an otto and amano shrimp easily. I dont recommend females because as they breed fry go straight into the filter as they are the size of a dafnia! lol. So my tanks are fitted with sponge filters until they are large enough to go into the planted tanks.

I lost my pukebucket account and my photos went with it. I have a couple random photos here and there, but I really need to take new photos with a professional camera. My iphone just cant seem to capture tiny little swimming dots. I currently have about 150 fry in 7 separate tanks that are far too small to ship for a few months.

I added a video- these fry are 2 weeks old, so you can imagine how small they were when they were born! haha!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 7.00.27 AM.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	882403  

Pythos and mikeemorales like this.

Last edited by livebearerlove; 06-05-2019 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Added a video of the tiny fry.... 2 weeks old.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

+1 on endlers! I personally prefer the pure strains for various reasons, but there are lovely hybrids out there too.

I'd probably stock 5-7 purebred or endler/endler hybrids males in that tank, only 5 if it were endler/guppy hybrids. That would leave plenty of room for shrimp too - I've never had issues mixing the two.

Make sure that they can't get caught in the filter current at the top by the way - it doesn't look too strong, but difficult to tell from photos. Mine have never jumped, until swapping filters, at which 3 of my best were flung out of the tank overnight.

Family photo of my blue stars for tax:

Journal

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Beautiful hybrid mutation of blue stars! very nice.
'purebred' the relative word of the century I think anything of this nature will work well for Nano tank of the OP... but ensure there is no females, otherwise you will have a mas riot on your hands!
Thelongsnail and mikeemorales like this.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Real endlers are so small you could have a decent quantity of males (but it also depends what else you stock it with). I know I have a 6 gallon that hold 10 of them plus an otto and amano shrimp easily. I dont recommend females because as they breed fry go straight into the filter as they are the size of a dafnia! lol. So my tanks are fitted with sponge filters until they are large enough to go into the planted tanks.

I lost my pukebucket account and my photos went with it. I have a couple random photos here and there, but I really need to take new photos with a professional camera. My iphone just cant seem to capture tiny little swimming dots. I currently have about 150 fry in 7 separate tanks that are far too small to ship for a few months.

I added a video- these fry are 2 weeks old, so you can imagine how small they were when they were born! haha!
https://youtu.be/YmhHk9ORbv4
awesome video! I have a sponge filters as well on mine so I think I'll be okay in the event that I accidentally pick up a couple females. And with the chance of fry, it gives me the initiative to rebuild my other thanks lol.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelongsnail View Post
+1 on endlers! I personally prefer the pure strains for various reasons, but there are lovely hybrids out there too.

I'd probably stock 5-7 purebred or endler/endler hybrids males in that tank, only 5 if it were endler/guppy hybrids. That would leave plenty of room for shrimp too - I've never had issues mixing the two.

Make sure that they can't get caught in the filter current at the top by the way - it doesn't look too strong, but difficult to tell from photos. Mine have never jumped, until swapping filters, at which 3 of my best were flung out of the tank overnight.

Family photo of my blue stars for tax:
good advice! I have the current set 5/10 so it shouldn't be too strong. Just strong enough to keep the top from going stagnant. There is also a sponge filter to prevent anything from being sucked up.

Your endlers look awesome! Definitely will end up going that route knowing that more people have them (and to know who I can possibly bug if I have any questions lol).

graphic designer by day, algae grower by night.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

@livebearerlove thank you! I know they're not standard but I like them anyway.

Love all the photos I've seen of your endlers by the way, they're beautiful I avoid guppy/endler hybrids more often than not just because they don't seem to be as hardy, and seem to be larger and more aggressive with each other, but I'm sure that's not the case with specimens that are actually well-bred, such as yours.

@mikeemorales it shouldn't be difficult just to pick males - females are much larger than males and have very little colouring if any. You can also look for the gonopodium to be absolutely sure
mikeemorales likes this.

Journal

Tags
planted nano tank, planted tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode