Mikee's Nano Cube - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
@Thelongsnail

I think generally people breed sloppy- its unfortunate but true. Females depends- see that yellow fish in my video? that is a blue japanese sword female- shipped straight from Japan. Its one of the reasons I love the Japan blue- yellow females! I think Aquaria has some in stock right now https://aquaticarts.com/collections/guppies-and-endlers
Thelongsnail and mikeemorales like this.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

update*

So Iíve been out of town for the last 4 days and someone in my house opened my blinds causing this tank to get a lot of sunlight. I know itís not the only factor, but it did enhance the growth of this hair algae + diatom outbreak I had before leaving.

Tested my waters and looks like my tank has cycled enough to safely add fish. Iíve added an otocinclus and two julii corys. i discovered a while ago that the julii corys love munching on hair algae and diatom. Maybe not to the extent of termination, but enough to keep it at low levels. i removed most of the hair algae by hand and once they got settled in, they went to town. The otocinclus I feel is still trying to get comfy so heís been a bit shy. Itís only been one day so I donít blame him.

When this tank is a bit more cleared up, I will look into the endlers. Iíve also had my eyes on some danios. Maybe 3-4 zebras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

graphic designer by day, algae grower by night.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very cute photos, especially the corys!

Corys really do need to be in groups of 6+ though, and that tank isn't really big enough for that many Juliis. Do you have a larger tank that they could go into with some more friends? If you're set on corys, a group of 6 of one of the dwarf varieties (pygmaeus/hastatus/habrosus) would probably be okay in that tank.

The tank is also too small for Zebra danios to be honest - they like to swim lengths and need 2ft absolute minimum. I know some people keep celestial pearl danios in nano tanks though - perhaps something to look into? I'd skip the endlers though and just go with 6 CPDs if that were the case. Not sure on the stocking levels on 6 CPDs, 6 dwarf corys, and an oto - it seems a little high, but doable. Perhaps someone else can help out.

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelongsnail View Post
Very cute photos, especially the corys!

Corys really do need to be in groups of 6+ though, and that tank isn't really big enough for that many Juliis. Do you have a larger tank that they could go into with some more friends? If you're set on corys, a group of 6 of one of the dwarf varieties (pygmaeus/hastatus/habrosus) would probably be okay in that tank.

The tank is also too small for Zebra danios to be honest - they like to swim lengths and need 2ft absolute minimum. I know some people keep celestial pearl danios in nano tanks though - perhaps something to look into? I'd skip the endlers though and just go with 6 CPDs if that were the case. Not sure on the stocking levels on 6 CPDs, 6 dwarf corys, and an oto - it seems a little high, but doable. Perhaps someone else can help out.
thanks! and thanks for the advice. I've heard about the zebra danios needing a bigger tank, where I've had them before in a 36" long tank. Did not know about the 2ft minimum so I probably won't go with the danios. I definitely will look into the CPDs though! never thought of that idea. Once they clean up the algae a bit, I'll probably move them to a 40 gallon I have and add more of them. Maybe I'll look into the dwarf kind as I am a little set on corys. I just really love them lol.
Thelongsnail likes this.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

*update*

Itís been about.. a day? Or two? And the corys are completely demolishing all the hair algae and diatom. All the java fern that had diatom growing has been cleaned off as well. Going to hand remove the remaining small pieces of hair algae!

First pic is from 6/11 and the second is from just now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
planted nano tank, planted tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode