Filter for my new nano tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Filter for my new nano tank

Hello all,
Setup:
I currently have a cycled 2.5-3 gallon nano tank with a heater that I will be bringing to college. (3 weeks old)
Plants-
Anubias 'pangolino'
Buce red mini
Mini dwarf hair grass
Pothos stalk
(I will be adding corkscrew val and rotala into the background when the grass becomes better rooted in the tank)
Animals-
1 nerite snail
I'm using it as a holding tank currently for a ghost and amano shrimp. I will be adding ~3-4 cherry shrimp and a sarlet badis

I have a few problems and concerns so hear me out. I have an undergravel filter installed where it a simple pipe with holes drilled into it going diagonally through the tank. This filter seemed good but doing some searching I am now concerned that it might cause some problems down the road. One being the buildup of waste and detritus in the gravel. This is commonly solved with a good deep gravel vac, but with my intentions of having a carpet of mini dwarf hair grass, I would only be able to do the surface gravel, and I don't want to gravel vac 2 times a week. Another problem that is more of a concern now is that the bubbles from the air stone (even turned down) accumulate at the surface and cover over half the tank's surface, blocking some light and not looking too good. Ive tried skimming the surface but it doesn't help.

Anyways, on to my idea. What if I removed the under gravel filter before the grass roots too much around it, then what if I were to build a very small hang on the back filter that could handle the bioload and use mechanical and biological filtrations. I already have some sketches and diagrams made up for it. This would help with both problems. I would also be able to hide then heater in it give more room in the tank, more even heating, and it will look better.

Note:
I'm doing a water change/cleaning tomorrow

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode